HOW do I get 3.11.3 on my desktop?

Thanks

Jack g
Re: Need help please [ In reply to ]
use where cmd to find out the path of the binary and create a shortcut to
that file on desktop

Regards,
*Sravan Chitikesi*
AWS Solutions Architect - Associate

Re: Need help please [ In reply to ]
On 4/10/2023 9:59 AM, Jack Gilbert wrote:
> I D/L 3.11.3, I can see it in CMD
>
> running W10 64bit
>
> I have IDL on my desktop,
>
> HOW do I get 3.11.3 on my desktop?

If you mean "How can I create a shortcut to Python 3.11.3 on my desktop
that opens an interactive Python session", here is one way:

1. Find where your Python 3.11.3 program has been installed. On the
command line in a console, type:

py -c "import sys; print(sys.executable)"

You will get a response like this:

C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\python.exe

NOTE: If the "py" command is not on your computer or does not open
Python 3.11, then open a python 3.11 session and type the same commands:

import sys
print(sys.executable)

2. Open the Windows file browser ("Windows Explorer") and navigate to
that directory. On my computer this is

C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311

3. Press and hold both the CTRL and SHIFT keys down at the same time,
and with the mouse drag the icon for "python.exe" to a blank space on
the desktop. This will not drag the program itself but will create a
shortcut and drag that.

4. Test the new shortcut by double-clicking on it and seeing that a new
console window opens with the Python interpreter running in it.

If you do not like the size, shape, or font of this new console, change
them by clicking on the icon in the upper left, then selecting
"Properties", and making changes in the dialog box that opens. The new
choices will be used whenever you use this shortcut again.

5. The new shortcut will probably be named "python.ex". I suggest that
you rename it to "Python 3.11". This way you can create other python
shortcuts without having their names conflict.