Mailing List Archive

Python and CGI
Hi everybody,

Yesterday, I mailed an announcement for mxCGIPython, a drop-in
setup extension for the Python source distribution that allows
compiling a one-file executable containing the standard Python
interpreter + the standard library + the default builtin
modules. The result is a complete Python installation in one
single file -- easy to install and ship around.

Although there were a number of hits on the web-page, I'm not
sure whether the announcement got the message through... this
is intended to be a campaign with the goal of promoting Python
as CGI engine.

I've further enhanced and simplified the setup, so that producing
these binaries really becomes a very simple and highly automated
task. Basically all you have to do is unarchive the source
distribution, the setup I provide on the web-page below and
then type 'make -f Makefile.cgi'.

I'll collect the submitted binaries on the starship FTP server
for everybody to download at their ISPs (if they don't already
support Python).

Hope this campaign becomes a success...

http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/mxCGIPython.html

Marc-Andre Lemburg Y2000: 246 days left
: Python Pages >>> http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/ :
Python and CGI [ In reply to ]
M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>Although there were a number of hits on the web-page, I'm not
>sure whether the announcement got the message through... this
>is intended to be a campaign with the goal of promoting Python
>as CGI engine.

I think a critical thing that's missing for CGI newbies is a
collection of example Python scripts, and a CGI HOWTO. Look at
www.cgi-resources.com for some ideas; it would be quite helpful to
newbies if there were example Python scripts that acted as hit
counters, guestbooks, mailers, etc.

--
A.M. Kuchling http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Python and CGI [ In reply to ]
M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Yesterday, I mailed an announcement for mxCGIPython, a drop-in
> setup extension for the Python source distribution that allows
> compiling a one-file executable containing the standard Python
> interpreter + the standard library + the default builtin
> modules. The result is a complete Python installation in one
> single file -- easy to install and ship around.
>
> Although there were a number of hits on the web-page, I'm not
> sure whether the announcement got the message through... this
> is intended to be a campaign with the goal of promoting Python
> as CGI engine.

Ok, the first compiled version are being submitted. Good sign :-)
So far, I've received these setups:

cgipython-1.5.2-Linux-2.0.35-i586-unknown.gz
cgipython-1.5.2-Linux-2.0.36-i586-unknown.gz
cgipython-1.5.2-Linux-2.0.35-i686-unknown.gz

Hmm, maybe I should include the libc version/name too.