Mailing List Archive

Moving Numeric arrays into the core
On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:29:53 -0400 (EDT),
Andrew M. Kuchling <akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us> wrote:
> I think the idea is to include only the basic NumPy types
>(multiarray and whatever the rest are). BLAS, LAPACK, or whatever,
>would still be add-ons.

I've looked into this and it should be pretty easy to split up NumPy.
Here is what I got:

332 1075 11818 Include/arrayobject.h
190 585 6704 Include/ufuncobject.h
86 264 3585 Src/_numpymodule.c
2037 6451 53891 Src/arrayobject.c
615 2690 28201 Src/arraytypes.c
2 2 24 Src/multiarray.def
1208 3818 31603 Src/multiarraymodule.c
39 36 639 Src/numpy.def
968 3129 26291 Src/ufuncobject.c
2 2 19 Src/umath.def
2013 10754 95932 Src/umathmodule.c
213 847 7904 Lib/ArrayPrinter.py
29 76 767 Lib/Matrix.py
342 1190 9632 Lib/Numeric.py
80 271 2468 Lib/Precision.py
103 235 2964 Lib/UserArray.py
8259 31425 282442 total

On a Intel Linux box I get the following libraries:

163996 _numpymodule.so
69147 multiarraymodule.so
159556 umathmodule.so
392699 total

I wonder if this is too large. Maybe umath should be left out. Also,
how would the existing array module fix in with this?

Neil
Moving Numeric arrays into the core [ In reply to ]
nascheme@ucalgary.ca (Neil Schemenauer) writes:

> On a Intel Linux box I get the following libraries:
>
> 163996 _numpymodule.so
> 69147 multiarraymodule.so
> 159556 umathmodule.so
> 392699 total
>
> I wonder if this is too large. Maybe umath should be left out. Also,

Umath also contains array arithmetic; without it, you can't add arrays,
for example. So it's rather fundamental.
Konrad Hinsen | E-Mail: hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Rue Charles Sadron | Fax: +33-2.38.63.15.17
45071 Orleans Cedex 2 | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
France | Nederlands/Francais