http://members.tripod.com/web_4/index.html

--
http://members.tripod.com/web_4/index.html
help [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 07:18:13PM +0000, Stone Cold wrote:

> I just got python and I need some help getting started. I have no
> programing knowlodge yet but I want to know all the languges. can someone
> help?

greetings and welcome to python!

I would suggest having a look at <http://www.python.org/Help.html> for
pointers on where to start.. also check out the online versions of the
documentation (so you can read it before printing it out on paper) located
at <http://www.python.org/doc/>.

python will run on linux, other unix-like platforms, and win32. it has a
reasonable liscense, source code is available, it is easily extensible in C
or C++, and is a top notch 'glue' language. the semantics of the language
are *very* clean and elegant, making it a snap to learn. it has been
described as 'executable pseudo code', and it lives up to that reputation.

I don't want to sound like a bad commercial, but python is really and truly
very very cool and a lot of fun to work with.

regards,
help [ In reply to ]
jam wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 07:18:13PM +0000, Stone Cold wrote:
> >
> > I just got python and I need some help getting started. I have no
> > programing knowlodge yet but I want to know all the languges. can someone
> > help?

[snip Python 'commercial']

> I don't want to sound like a bad commercial, but python is really and truly
> very very cool and a lot of fun to work with.

I always sound like that too, don't worry. :) (they're calling me a
Python preacher these days, at work)

Regards,

Martijn
help [ In reply to ]
Hi All--

Martijn Faassen wrote:

[snip]

> I always sound like that too, don't worry. :) (they're calling me a
> Python preacher these days, at work)
>
> Regards,
>
> Martijn

Oh, they won't even let me talk in meetings around here anymore. I just
*look* like I'm going to open my mouth and they all yell, ``Yes, we
*know* we should use Python!''

<sheesh>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan@callware.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
help [ In reply to ]
Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

> Oh, they won't even let me talk in meetings around here anymore. I just
> *look* like I'm going to open my mouth and they all yell, ``Yes, we
> *know* we should use Python!''

Yeah, that happened to me for a while - I had to cut down drastically on
the use of the word 'Python'. :) So *do* they use Python over there? I
mean, now that they all know they should?

Regards,

Martijn
help [ In reply to ]

help [ In reply to ]
"Stone Cold" <Noway@inhell.net> writes:

> I just got python and I need some help getting started. I have no
> programing knowlodge yet but I want to know all the languges. can someone
> help?

When you have your interpreter running, you might want to check out

http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~mlh/python/hacking.html

It is a programming tutorial that uses Python.

--
> Hi! I'm the signature virus 99!
Magnus > Copy me into your signature and join the fun!
Lie
Hetland http://arcadia.laiv.org <arcadia@laiv.org>
help [ In reply to ]
I've become known for appending a lengthy appendix to each design document
that explains what Python is and why averyone should be using it. So far
I've made a number of converts. All it takes is an experienced coder with
an open mind and *pow* they're hooked.

--- Robert

--------------------------------
Robert Meegan
MCIWorldCom - Cedar Rapids, Iowa
319.375.2416
help [ In reply to ]
Pythonistas--

Martijn Faassen wrote:

[snip]
> Yeah, that happened to me for a while - I had to cut down drastically on
> the use of the word 'Python'. :) So *do* they use Python over there? I
> mean, now that they all know they should?

Ha. No. I'm sure that they just think of me as that nut in the corner.

<no-no-i'm-not-bitter>ly y'rs,
help [ In reply to ]
Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

> Pythonistas--
>
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> > Yeah, that happened to me for a while - I had to cut down drastically on
> > the use of the word 'Python'. :) So *do* they use Python over there? I
> > mean, now that they all know they should?
> >

> Ha. No. I'm sure that they just think of me as that nut in the corner.

You can take some comfort from the fact that here I've made a few people
quite excited about Zope. If Python doesn't work, you could try Zope. At
least it's a different word -- when they find out it's written in Python
it might already be too late. :)

Regards,

Martijn
help [ In reply to ]
Robert Meegan wrote:

> I've become known for appending a lengthy appendix to each design document
> that explains what Python is and why averyone should be using it. So far
> I've made a number of converts. All it takes is an experienced coder with
> an open mind and *pow* they're hooked.

This is how we push the programmer population slowly up that exponential
curve. :)

Regards,

Martijn
help [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

> > I always sound like that too, don't worry. :) (they're calling me a
> > Python preacher these days, at work)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Martijn
>
> Oh, they won't even let me talk in meetings around here anymore. I just
> *look* like I'm going to open my mouth and they all yell, ``Yes, we
> *know* we should use Python!''

Don't we all know that feeling? Just to contribute to the ``preaching
python and getting hit for it'' thread, I wanted to mention that I managed
to create a position which will need Python knowledge, and now some people
are learning Python, just to make sure they can maintain my code.

And they don't even know I'm doing them a favour...
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.
QOTD: My own exit is more likely to be horizontal then perpendicular.
help [ In reply to ]

Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il> replied:
> Don't we all know that feeling? Just to contribute to the ``preaching
> python and getting hit for it''

Just to rub people's noses in it; we're a Python shop and I
haven't had that feeling for almost a year. :)

Andrew
dalke@bioreason.com
help [ In reply to ]

MZ> Don't we all know that feeling?

Fortunately, we don't have that problem too much around here :-)
help [ In reply to ]
> This is how we push the programmer population slowly up that exponential
> curve. :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Martijn

That's so true! At my last employer, someone managed to convince me and a
few other people to look at Python (thanks, Andrew!) Now that I'm back in
school, I have a whole new audience to infec^h^h^h^h^h tell.
Unfortunately, that other language seems to be quite entrenched in my
field (bioinformatics).

but-1.1-people-is-all-it-takes-to-achieve-exponential-growth-ly y'rs,
(wow, that is fun!)
Jeff
help [ In reply to ]
Yep, king in the land of the blind. I keep the faith though.
This newbie is still trying (hard) to understand why Zope will not work
with Apache ...