(something smaller than a laptop) that can be programmed with python.

Is there a WEB page or any other place were I can find information about
this
topic?

Thanks in advance
Peter

Dr. Peter Stoehr --- Teisenbergweg 6 --- 85435 Erding --- 08122/47232
I'm the terror that flaps through the night
Python and "Hand held" computers [ In reply to ]
"Dr. Peter Stoehr" wrote:
> I'm a great fan of python and I'm now looking for an
> hand held computer (something smaller than a laptop)
> that can be programmed with python.

This must be PythonCE week. Three requests in 3 days.

Brian Lloyd's original PythonCE port:

http://www.digicool.com/~brian/PythonCE/

Mark Hammond has extended it:

http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/ce/

There is also a mailing list:

http://www.egroups.com/group/python-ce/

Briefly, you should be able to run Python on any
of the CE family. Practically, this means CE
devices based on the MIPS or Hitachi processors.
The developers working on PythonCE all have MIPS
systems, I believe. (At least that's true for
Mark Hammond, Brian Lloyd, and myself.)

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.
Python and "Hand held" computers [ In reply to ]
What about Palm Pilot ?

Python and "Hand held" computers [ In reply to ]
> What about Palm Pilot ?

I think the answer still is "It should be possible, but in
practice the Palm Pilot doesn't have enough memory to make
it an interesting proposition, unless you upgrade it to non-standard
sizes." While it is possible to upgrade the memory (I think)
this means that the audience for palm/Python would probably
be limited to the developers of palm/Python and certain other
hobbiests. For windows CE, by contrast, many machines come with
enough memory (32meg ram/24meg rom in mine, with 10 hours
of uptime) to make python-ce interesting.

Hope I'm wrong, or the Palm folks change the situation. We've
seen this situation before in other markets and it doesn't harbor
well for the Palm Pilot (cool as it undeniably is).
Please correct me!!!

btw: gadfly runs on python-ce (with some mods) :) I think it
is the most fully featured sql implementation that runs on wince.
(pocketAccess is braindead.)
-- Aaron Watters http://www.chordate.com

===
History: read it and weep. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Python and "Hand held" computers [ In reply to ]
In article <7g1opt$9li$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
aaron_watters@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> > What about Palm Pilot ?
>
> I think the answer still is "It should be possible, but in
> practice the Palm Pilot doesn't have enough memory to make
> it an interesting proposition, unless you upgrade it to non-standard
> sizes."

"It's worse than that, he's dead Jim!"

Even if you do upgrade a pilot to have more RAM (the new Palm IIIx comes with
4 MB, and you can get an 8 MB upgrade), the Pilot OS's memory architecture is
also a problem. Palm apps typically get a very small heap - 64k or less, if
memory serves me correctly. The rest of RAM is accessed using the "database
manager" functions, which chops RAM up into records defined by the app.

This is very useful when writing an address book or shopping list program. It
is significantly LESS useful when you're trying to implement an interpreter.

I'm sure that this can be worked around (heck, someone's implemented Smalltalk
on the pilot) but I suspect the amount of changes to the core Python sources
would be significant enough to discourage the attempt.

[ ...Remainder snipped... ]

-Chris

Python and "Hand held" computers [ In reply to ]
>btw: gadfly runs on python-ce (with some mods) :) I think it
>is the most fully featured sql implementation that runs on wince.
>(pocketAccess is braindead.)

Hey - that is great! Im also glad to hear you have the thing working OK -
are you using my builds?

Mark.
Python and "Hand held" computers [ In reply to ]
In article <37222AE6.E6C8F713@weihenstephan.org>, peter.stoehr@weihenstephan.org wrote:
>Hi Python-Fans,
>
>I'm a great fan of python and I'm now looking for an hand held computer
>(something smaller than a laptop) that can be programmed with python.
>
>Is there a WEB page or any other place were I can find information about
>this
>topic?

Python 1.5.1 was ported last year to the Psion Series 5 by an Englishman, and
it works quite well. I can find the Web site if you're interested...
Python and "Hand held" computers [ In reply to ]
Fred Pacquier <fredp@multimania.com> wrote in
<7g2l65$92k$1@minus.oleane.net>:

>In article <37222AE6.E6C8F713@weihenstephan.org>,
>peter.stoehr@weihenstephan.org wrote:
>Python 1.5.1 was ported last year
>to the Psion Series 5 by an Englishman, and it works quite well. I can
>find the Web site if you're interested...

Scotsman, please.

--
Duncan Booth duncan@dales.rmplc.co.uk
http://dales.rmplc.co.uk/Duncan
Python and "Hand held" computers [ In reply to ]
In article <7g2r14$sia$1@m2.c2.telstra-mm.net.au>,
"Mark Hammond" <MHammond@skippinet.com.au> wrote:
> >btw: gadfly runs on python-ce (with some mods) :) I think it
> >is the most fully featured sql implementation that runs on wince.
> >(pocketAccess is braindead.)
>
> Hey - that is great! Im also glad to hear you have the thing working OK -
> are you using my builds?

Yes. I also must admit that gadfly runs *slowly* and I don't think
it's all my problem (some of it is)...
Just in the interest of keeping the signal to
noise ratio high :) "imports" of large modules seem to take longer than
they should. Gadfly would be much more interesting with a kjbuckets
port too. [.Dunno what my problem is, just too honest I guess, I can't
get into the tradition of "hyperbole" in this industry.] I'm surprised
and delighted that it runs as well as it does nonetheless.

Thanks Mark, Brian et al for the great work!!
-- Aaron Watters

===
...doesn't know the difference between "hyperbole" and "mendacity"
any more...

[.Father, I cannot tell a lie: that woman cut down the cherry tree...]