mind recompiling and extending it.

Cheers,
Rich
PythonCE [ In reply to ]
Rich Holm wrote:
> Does anyone know the status of PythonCE? I would like to get
> an updated copy, 1.5.2? Also, where is the source? I wouldn't
> mind recompiling and extending it.

Brian Lloyd's original PythonCE port:

http://www.digicool.com/~brian/PythonCE/

Mark Hammond has extended it:

http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/ce/

PythonCE is stable, even useful for certain tasks,
especially http/ftp communication with your handheld.
The only drawback (IMO) is that a GUI application
will require you to write directly to the Win32/CE
API. Mark provides an excellent example of how
to do this -- he includes a shell written completely
in Python.

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.
PythonCE [ In reply to ]
Is there a chance to have Tkinter someday on a CE machine. Or is it too mem
consuming and impossible therefore?

Regards
Franz GEIGER

PythonCE [ In reply to ]
Franz GEIGER wrote:
> Is there a chance to have Tkinter someday on a CE
> machine. Or is it too mem consuming and impossible
> therefore?

PythonWare's project-formerly-known-as-Topaz would
probably fit the bill. It's a small, tightly coded
Tk clone. We aren't likely to see it on the radar
screen anytime soon, alas. (Hoping to get a rise
out of /F, who will prove me wrong.)

Another possibility would be for wxPython to run
on CE. This isn't as far-fetched as it might first
appear. Julian Smart's web site has already mentioned
some interest in this direction. If wxWindows were
ported to CE, wxPython/CE would be fairly straightforward.

I am interested in promoting open source development
in this direction (PythonCE applications). If anyone
has specific, low-cost ideas, please discuss them on
this newsgroup or contact me via email.

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.