I will now try to disable threads again and I will see if it works then
again..

-- Christian
Problem while Installing.. [ In reply to ]
Christian Scholz wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I have a strange problem right now:
>
> 'import exceptions' failed; use -v for traceback
> Warning! Falling back to string-based exceptions
> Fatal Python error: Cannot create string-based exceptions
> IOT trap/Abort

I also made the same with the -v switch:

ruebe@server:/exports/home/homes/ruebe/prg/udmsearch-if >
/opt/python1.5/bin/python -v
'import exceptions' failed; traceback:
lost sys.stderr
Warning! Falling back to string-based exceptions
Fatal Python error: Cannot create string-based exceptions
IOT trap/Abort

Just to let you know.. :)

-- christian
Problem while Installing.. [ In reply to ]
Christian Scholz:
|Hi everybody!
|
|I have a strange problem right now:

|'import exceptions' failed; use -v for traceback
|Warning! Falling back to string-based exceptions
|Fatal Python error: Cannot create string-based exceptions
|IOT trap/Abort
|
|This I get when I try to install a new compiled Python 1.5.2 on my Linux
|Box. It was working before and did this after I told configure to use
|threads.. This message appears when the installation process wants to
|start compiling the modules (compileall.py). I tried importing it then
|by hand with my installed python which worked (The actual python
|interpreter is installed before the compile process, right?) and I then
|changed the Makefile to use the installed python which worked. But now
|when I want to use Python it says the same.
|
|Any idea what happens?

Yeah, been there done that :-)

This may not be your problem, but see if $PYTHONPATH is set. If so, unset
it until you finish building and installing python. It confuses the build
(it overrides the configured system search path, so python can't find
itself).

Randall