University Bookstore today.

good luck gettin' yours,

Bob Savage
learning Python (rat book) [ In reply to ]
savageb wrote in message ...
>The rat has landed! I managed to get my hands a copy at the Stanford
>University Bookstore today.

Mine arrived from Amazon on Tuesday.
learning Python (rat book) [ In reply to ]
> The rat has landed! I managed to get my hands a copy at the Stanford
> University Bookstore today.

just got one on my desk (in Linköping, Sweden).

looks great!

(what else can I say about a book that has
my name in the index? ;-)

</F>

smurf 1.5.2 is out, btw:
http://www.smurfalizer.com/smurfalize?url=http://www.python.org/1.5
learning Python (rat book) [ In reply to ]
Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> > The rat has landed! I managed to get my hands a copy at the Stanford
> > University Bookstore today.
>
> just got one on my desk (in Linköping, Sweden).
>
> looks great!
>
> (what else can I say about a book that has
> my name in the index? ;-)

Unfortunately, names seem to appear just by the chance that
material was used. I was astonished to find quite a couple
of names, but no Aaron Watters, no Barry Warsaw. Well, the book
doesn't try to be complete and doesn't mention everything
and everybody.
But when mentioning SWIG, it should had better put a reference
to Dave Beazley into the index as well.

I'm currently working on the Grman translation. it will be
ready by end of July. I will try to adjust the index to mention
every person who plays a role in the book.
(Oops, I wrote this before looking into page 311 - it's me :-)

cheers - chris

--
Christian Tismer :^) <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>
Applied Biometrics GmbH : Have a break! Take a ride on Python's
learning Python (rat book) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Christian Tismer wrote:

> Unfortunately, names seem to appear just by the chance that
> material was used. I was astonished to find quite a couple
> of names, but no Aaron Watters, no Barry Warsaw.

Indices refer to text, so yes, names will show up based on whether they
show up in the text. As such, Aaron and Barry's names should have
appeared in the index, since they are mentioned in the text (Aaron for
gadfly and IPP, Barry for his PSA work -- he should be mentioned in the
context of JPython as well, but maybe that change happened too late for
the first printing. Anyway, all this to say that these omissions were not
deliberate, and will be fixed in future printings if they don't affect the
page count (I believe that's the rule). In fact, I wish to make public an
acknowledgement which was omitted unintentionally in the final rush of
production -- Jim Hugunin provided valuable assistance in the the JPython
program development. I'll try and get that fixed in the next printing as
well. We'll add Christian as well for the Starship reference, of course.

> But when mentioning SWIG, it should had better put a reference
> to Dave Beazley into the index as well.

Agreed.

> I'm currently working on the German translation. it will be
> ready by end of July. I will try to adjust the index to mention
> every person who plays a role in the book.

Great -- make sure to check in with Mark and I about the fixes we make
for the next printing, and let us know of the other bugs you find in the
process.

--David Ascher
learning Python (rat book) [ In reply to ]
David Ascher wrote:
> > I'm currently working on the German translation. it will be
> > ready by end of July. I will try to adjust the index to mention
> > every person who plays a role in the book.
>
> Great -- make sure to check in with Mark and I about the fixes we make
> for the next printing, and let us know of the other bugs you find in the
> process.

Sure I will. I also owe Mark a correction list for the
Pocket Reference.

On extracting names:
I'm setting up a batch process which turns all the Framemaker
files into MIF files. Then I will run a Python script which
extracts every possible name, and checks it against my name
list. The name list is generated form my email archives which
have everything until Oct 1996, so I'm pretty sure I will
find everybody who mailed on some list, and I can use
the intersection with the extracted name candidates to amend
the index. :-)

ciao - chris