Mailing List Archive

Advocacy (Re: PIGgies?)
On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 02:40:10PM +0000, Aahz Maruch wrote:
> In article <19990818171523.A22207@digex.net>,
> John Landahl <jpl@digex.net.nospamplease> wrote:
> >
> >Lately I've been considering forming a high profile user group in San
> >Francisco to help promote Python as a serious tool for mainstream use.
> >Much to my chagrin I discovered that there's already a (recent) group
> >called "BayPIGgies". I later noticed that the term "PIGgies" is used
> >elsewhere for Python user groups. Am I the only Python enthusiast that
> >has a problem with the term "PIGgies"?
>
> I suspect that you've fallen for the common fallacy of thinking that
> "Python" refers to a species of snake; in fact, "Python" is a reference
> to Monty Python's Flying Circus, and most pythonistas make a point of
> heavily using irreverent humor.

Actually, no, I'm a big Python (Monty) fan from way back. In an emergency
(ie. in dire need, or because I want to) I can regurgitate most standard
sketches, songs, and movie lines, unquestioningly to the delight of all
nearby.

My point is that an advocacy group, whose job it would be to reach many
people who are potentially unblessed by a nudgenudging cheeseshopping
lumberjacking sense of humor, would have a lot more success with a more
"mainstream" name.

I for one would really enjoy more opportunities to use Python out in the job
world, and advocacy would seem to be the way to make that happen. Is there
any kind of organized advocacy effort already in progress, or have Python
people mostly been enjoying the language rather than talking about it?

- John