Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
"How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that. Someday they
may be scarce." (Casablanca)
pyKDE [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:03:18 GMT, Jeremy <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:
>Is anyone using pyKDE? I'm trying to get it to work. It compiled fine,
>but actually trying to use it, even just 'import kde', results in:
> /usr/local/lib/python1.5/lib-dynload/libkdecmodule.so: symbol
> className__C10QImageDrag: referenced symbol not found

Where are Qt and KDE installed? Can Solaris find the relevant shared
libraries? Try setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to
/opt/kde/lib, or wherever you've installed KDE.

(I have pyKDE installed, and have written part of a KDE application,
but haven't gotten around to finishing it yet. It's a data point that
pyKDE really does work, though.)

--
A.M. Kuchling http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/
any-technology-indistinguishable-from-magic-is-too-mysterious-to-trust-ly y'rs
pyKDE [ In reply to ]
A.M. Kuchling <akuchlin@mems-exchange.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:03:18 GMT, Jeremy <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:
>
>> Is anyone using pyKDE? I'm trying to get it to work. It compiled
>> fine, but actually trying to use it, even just 'import kde', results
>> in: /usr/local/lib/python1.5/lib-dynload/libkdecmodule.so: symbol
>> className__C10QImageDrag: referenced symbol not found
>
> Where are Qt and KDE installed? Can Solaris find the relevant shared
> libraries? Try setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to
> /opt/kde/lib, or wherever you've installed KDE.

Yeah, all that is correct; the KDE libs are in /usr/local/kde/lib, which
is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and the Qt libs are at /usr/local/qt/lib, but
symlinked into /usr/local/lib, which is in the library path too.

Further investigation reveals that libkdecmodule.so isn't loading up the
Qt or KDE libraries, or any libraries at all. It's not failing, it's
just not even trying. The link flags look okay during the compile (I
compiled it again and played with it a little). I haven't figured out
what exactly is wrong, but I'll have to spend some more time with it,
I guess...

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
"You've never seen the British Parliament in action, have you?
pyKDE [ In reply to ]
Jeremy <jeremy@exit109.com> writes:
> Further investigation reveals that libkdecmodule.so isn't loading up the
> Qt or KDE libraries, or any libraries at all. It's not failing, it's
> just not even trying. The link flags look okay during the compile (I
> compiled it again and played with it a little). I haven't figured out

Try playing with different parameters to dlopen() in
Python/importdl.c, in the Python source code. I vaguely recall
problems with RTLD_LAZY vs. RTLD_GLOBAL affecting other people. (On
the other hand, I didn't do any such hackery when I compiled pyKDE.)

--
A.M. Kuchling http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.