Mailing List Archive

Year 2000 O'Reilly Python Conference
I just got off the phone with someone at O'Reilly, who is starting to plan
the next O'Reilly Open Source Convention. I've agreed to be the chair of
the Python conference, just so that there are no delays in getting the
conference organized. If someone feels that I should not be chair, speak
now and we can figure out who takes the 'job'.

There are short-term and long-term issues to discuss:

Short term:

- We need a program committee -- If you're interested in being on said
committee or know someone who should be, let me know. I'd like to get
representatives from various subconstituencies on there (web types, zope
types, business types, scientist types, linux types, hackers, etc.)

- The call for papers is going on the O'Reilly website soon. I will try and
get them to pass things by me first, but if we want to emphasize specific
kinds of paper submissions, we need to decide that soon.

- Greg or Barry, is it possible for one of you to setup a mailman mailing
list which will be used by the program committee? eGroups is easy for me to
setup, but lots of people hated it last year. I don't want to pollute
python-dev with conference discussions.

Longer term:

- The schedule for the conference is (supposedly) going to be the same as
last year. conference-wide keynotes at the beginning of both days, and
4x90minute segments.

- We have two parallel tracks

- We have 4 half-day tutorial slots

- All of the paper materials have to be 'in' by March 1. We need to decide
how much time we need to go through the review/revision process ourselves.
In other words, the deadline for submissions is up to us, but we don't have
that much time.

--david ascher
Re: Year 2000 O'Reilly Python Conference [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, David Ascher wrote:
> - Greg or Barry, is it possible for one of you to setup a mailman mailing
> list which will be used by the program committee? eGroups is easy for me to
> setup, but lots of people hated it last year. I don't want to pollute
> python-dev with conference discussions.

Done. ora-pc@pythonpros.com.

I also removed the old monterey-speakers mailing list :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/
Re: Year 2000 O'Reilly Python Conference [ In reply to ]
From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>