Mailing List Archive

Retiring this mailing list ?
Hello everyone,

for quite a while now, core discussions have moved to Discourse and
people are obviously enjoying things there:

https://discuss.python.org/c/core-dev/23

The Discourse mailing list mode works reasonably well, so is a suitable
replacement for this mailing list.

Posts to this list are now mostly spam, mailer error reports and the
occasional release postings:

https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/latest
(you can't see much of the spam, since we filter most of it)

Question: Should we retire and archive this mailing list ?
(I'm asking as one of the maintainers of the ML)

Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Nov 13 2023)

https://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
https://www.malemburg.com/

Re: Retiring this mailing list ? [ In reply to ]
But how would Tim Peters keep himself entertained in his retirement?

Seriously, let’s kill it. I thought it was already deprecated.

--Guido (mobile)

Re: Retiring this mailing list ? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 at 10:18, Marc-Andre Lemburg <mal@egenix.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Question: Should we retire and archive this mailing list ?
> (I'm asking as one of the maintainers of the ML)
>
> [...]

Hi Marc-Andre,

Maybe just require senders to be members of the python.org domain, and
retain the release announcements?

Kind regards,
Steve

PS: Your mail triggered a visit to https://www.python.org/community/lists/
- it seems it could use some updates. For example,
comp.lang.python-announce is a news URL, which in this day and age will
baffle most visitors! At the very least the page could point to the
Discourse list.
Re: Retiring this mailing list ? [ In reply to ]
On 11/14/2023 1:21 PM, Steve Holden wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 at 10:18, Marc-Andre Lemburg <mal@egenix.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> Question: Should we retire and archive this mailing list ?
> (I'm asking as one of the maintainers of the ML)
>
> [...]
>
> Hi Marc-Andre,
>
> Maybe just require senders to be members of the python.org
> <http://python.org> domain, and retain the release announcements?

I think the python-announce list serves that purpose. Any time there's
an announcement here, I also see a separate copy of it on
python-announce (where I'm a moderator).

Eric
Re: Retiring this mailing list ? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 2:21?AM Marc-Andre Lemburg <mal@egenix.com> wrote:

> Question: Should we retire and archive this mailing list ?
> (I'm asking as one of the maintainers of the ML)

+1 to retiring and archiving.

Less overhead for maintainers and information concentrated at a single
source, that is, discuss.python.org .

Thanks,
Senthil
Re: Retiring this mailing list ? [ In reply to ]
Yep, fine with me too.

-Barry

Re: Retiring this mailing list ? [ In reply to ]
Le 13/11/2023 à 11:17, Marc-Andre Lemburg a écrit :
> Hello everyone,

Hello,

> for quite a while now, core discussions have moved to Discourse and
> people are obviously enjoying things there: […]

Enjoying is a big word. I for one am more or less coping with it, using
rss for now (read-only and with holes in discussions).

> The Discourse mailing list mode works reasonably well, so is a suitable
> replacement for this mailing list.

It is not, as every user needs to waste time configuring category
filters, which most won't do anyway. Those problems were discussed here
some months ago, to no avail. Discourse is designed for logged-in
reading with the web interface, everything else is second class citizen.

> Posts to this list are now mostly spam, mailer error reports and the
> occasional release postings:

This is sadly the fact.

> Question: Should we retire and archive this mailing list ?
> (I'm asking as one of the maintainers of the ML)

Indeed.

Cheers,
Baptiste
Re: Retiring this mailing list ? [ In reply to ]
On 14.11.2023 19:21, Steve Holden wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 at 10:18, Marc-Andre Lemburg <mal@egenix.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> Question: Should we retire and archive this mailing list ?
> (I'm asking as one of the maintainers of the ML)
>
> [...]
>
> Hi Marc-Andre,
>
> Maybe just require senders to be members of the python.org
> <http://python.org> domain, and retain the release announcements?
Well, the point is to reduce maintenance and keeping the ML alive would
not lower this effort, since we get quite a bit of spam to the list.

> Kind regards,
> Steve
>
> PS: Your mail triggered a visit to
> https://www.python.org/community/lists/ - it seems it could use some
> updates. For example, comp.lang.python-announce is a news URL, which
> in this day and age will baffle most visitors! At the very least
> the page could point to the Discourse list.

Yes, the page could use some editing.

c.l.p.a does have a corresponding ML associated with it. It's probably
better to point to that instead of the newsgroup.

If you have suggestions for edits, please forward them offline. I can
then put them up there.

Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Nov 15 2023)

Re: Retiring this mailing list ? [ In reply to ]
On 13.11.2023 16:47, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> But how would Tim Peters keep himself entertained in his retirement?
Oh, he's on Discourse as well :-) and I'm sure he'd appreciate not
having to moderate this list anymore (he's one of the other 3 maintainers).

> Seriously, let’s kill it. I thought it was already deprecated.
I'll wait until next week and then get the process of archiving the list
going.

> --Guido (mobile)
>

> On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 02:19 Marc-Andre Lemburg <mal@egenix.com> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> for quite a while now, core discussions have moved to Discourse and
> people are obviously enjoying things there:
>
> https://discuss.python.org/c/core-dev/23
>
> The Discourse mailing list mode works reasonably well, so is a
> suitable
> replacement for this mailing list.
>
> Posts to this list are now mostly spam, mailer error reports and the
> occasional release postings:
>
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/latest
> (you can't see much of the spam, since we filter most of it)
>

> Question: Should we retire and archive this mailing list ?
> (I'm asking as one of the maintainers of the ML)
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Marc-Andre Lemburg
> eGenix.com
>
> Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Nov 13
> 2023)
>  >>> Python Projects, Coaching and Support ... https://www.egenix.com/
>  >>> Python Product Development ... https://consulting.egenix.com/
>
> ::: We implement business ideas - efficiently in both time and
> costs :::
>
>     eGenix.com Software, Skills and Services GmbH Pastor-Loeh-Str.48
>      D-40764 Langenfeld, Germany. CEO Dipl.-Math. Marc-Andre Lemburg
>             Registered at Amtsgericht Duesseldorf: HRB 46611
> https://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
> https://www.malemburg.com/

> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/PDRLCB6CNLQAFVGPTLXL5QV6SVQDPCCV/

Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Nov 16 2023)

Re: Retiring this mailing list ? [ In reply to ]
Hello everyone,

the python-dev mailing list has now been put into read-only mode and
archived.

The discussions have moved on to Discourse. Please follow-up there:

https://discuss.python.org/c/core-dev/23

Thanks to everyone who participated in discussions on this list over the
years. The archives will remain available for reference and software
archeologists:

https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/

Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Nov 25 2023)