Mailing List Archive

SC accepted PEP 594: Removing dead batteries from the standard library
Hi,

Oh, the Steering Council accepted PEP 594 "Removing dead batteries
from the standard library"! I just saw the announcement on Discourse.
Congratulations Christian and Brett! This PEP, first proposed in 2019,
wasn't an easy one.

https://peps.python.org/pep-0594/

Gregory P. Smith's message on Discourse:

"""
On behalf of the Python Steering Council,

We are accepting PEP-594 32 Removing dead batteries from the standard library.

It removes a non-controversial set of very old unmaintained or
obsolete libraries from the Python standard library. We expect this
PEP to be a one time event, and for future deprecations to be handled
differently.

One thing we’d like to see happen while implementing it: Document the
status of the modules being deprecated and removed and backport those
deprecation updates to older CPython branch documentation (at least
back to 3.9). That gets the notices in front of more people who may
use the docs for their specific Python version.

Particular care should also be taken during the pre-release cycles
that remove deprecated modules. If it turns out the removal of a
module proves to be a problem in practice despite the clear
deprecation, deferring the removal of that module should be considered
to avoid disruption.

Doing a “mass cleanup” of long obsolete modules is a sign that we as a
project have been ignoring rather than maintaining parts of the
standard library, or not doing so with the diligence being in the
standard library implies they deserve. Resolving ongoing discussions
around how we define the stdlib for the long term does not block this
PEP. It seems worthwhile for us to conduct regular reviews of the
contents of the stdlib every few releases so we can avoid accumulating
such a large pile of dead batteries, but this is outside the scope of
this particular PEP.

– Greg for the PSC
"""
https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-594-take-2-removing-dead-batteries-from-the-standard-library/13508/21