Mailing List Archive

FAME Extension
My name is Fernando Trias. I am new to this list and to the perl
discussion in general, although I've been using perl for two years. I
am writing this message to explain my intent to work on a perl5
extension for FAME, a time-series database and statistical package
from Fame Information Services which is widely used by researchers in
large banks, investment firms, and government. I would like to know
if there are any people with experience in FAME or other time-series
oriented databases who might be interested in this package, or might
wish to contribute ideas about its development.

While working at the Federal Reserve, I developed a rudimentary
interface for perl4 which uses FAME's C-language interface to import
and export data. I have already ported this interface to perl5.001m.
Using this interface as a base, I plan to create a TIE interface for
quick access to data and an object-oriented interface for more complex
manipulation.

The perl4 interface is in the public domain (under the Freedom of
Information Act). When finished, the perl5 interface may still be
freely available but will be copyrighted by me, and perhaps partially
by my employer (Fidelity Investments).

If anyone is interested in more details, please send me email
<ftrias@helix.fmrco.com>. If there is enough public interest, I will
send a more detailed description to perl5-porters.

Fernando Trias
Re: FAME Extension [ In reply to ]
> From: Fernando Trias <ftrias@helix.fmrco.com>
>
> My name is Fernando Trias. I am new to this list and to the perl
> discussion in general, although I've been using perl for two years. I
> am writing this message to explain my intent to work on a perl5
> extension for FAME, a time-series database and statistical package
> from Fame Information Services which is widely used by researchers in
> large banks, investment firms, and government. I would like to know
> if there are any people with experience in FAME or other time-series
> oriented databases who might be interested in this package, or might
> wish to contribute ideas about its development.
>
> While working at the Federal Reserve, I developed a rudimentary
> interface for perl4 which uses FAME's C-language interface to import
> and export data. I have already ported this interface to perl5.001m.
> Using this interface as a base, I plan to create a TIE interface for
> quick access to data and an object-oriented interface for more complex
> manipulation.
>
> The perl4 interface is in the public domain (under the Freedom of
> Information Act). When finished, the perl5 interface may still be
> freely available but will be copyrighted by me, and perhaps partially
> by my employer (Fidelity Investments).
>
> If anyone is interested in more details, please send me email
> <ftrias@helix.fmrco.com>. If there is enough public interest, I will
> send a more detailed description to perl5-porters.
>
> Fernando Trias

Thanks for letting us know Fernando but it might be more appropriate
to post the same message in the comp.lang.perl.misc and comp.databases
newsgroups. If FAME has a query language interface then you might also
want to take a look at the DBI module (ftp.demon.co.uk:/pub/perl/db/DBI/).

Don't forget to carefully follow the advise in the Module List.

Regards,
Tim.