Mailing List Archive

ppp (was Re: Source Filters, the next generation)
In <199508241345.PAA09969@hp138.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
On Thu, 24 Aug 1995 15:45:39 +0200
Jost Krieger <x920031@hp138.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

>1. If it is cpp-like, where should substitutions occur?
>
>Say, I define
>#define PI 3.141592653589793
>
>Simple: $pi=PI; - cpp $pi = 3.14...
>Harder: $PI=PI; - cpp $3.14... = 3.14...
>Harder: print "The value of PI is $pi"; - cpp no change if ANSI,
>
>If you decided that, next is:
>
>print <<EOT;
>The value of PI is $PI - cpp both changed
>EOT
>
>And then @constants=qw( E PI GAMMA ); - and this one
>
>I am not even decided what *I* presume should happen in these cases.
>
>A PD cpp would have to be tuned up quite a bit, I fear.

Yes a CPP would not know perl's syntax, and even if we did our own
I can see 'ppp' vs perl being cause of FAQs for some while. I really think
it would be easier to add 'const' to perl