Mailing List Archive

/bin symlink
Some people have gotten confused by my posting.

To clarify:

In SVR4, despite defining a new filesystem layout, they left /bin as a
symlink to /usr/bin, perhaps to allow all the scripts that start with
/bin/something to work.

HP-UX 10.01 provides "transition symlinks" which map the older pre-SVR4
filesystem layout to their new SVR4 locations.

The problem appears to be that HP-UX 10.01 defined /bin as a transition
link, and thus when you turn them off, you remove /bin as a symlink. This
is bad, and I've got some queries into HP to find out why this was done.

Jeff