Since 10.01 is based on SVR4, can someone running that version confirm
that /bin really doesn't exist any more?

Jeff
Re: /bin/sh really on SVR4 machines? [ In reply to ]
Jeff Okamoto wrote :
|| Since 10.01 is based on SVR4, can someone running that version confirm
|| that /bin really doesn't exist any more?

This is the first time I've heard of /bin going away. That is
not the case on Pyramid, NEC, or Solaris flavours of SVR4.

--
Maybe we can fix reality one of these days. | John Macdonald
<- Larry Wall Carl Dichter -> | jmm@Elegant.COM
Re: /bin/sh really on SVR4 machines? [ In reply to ]
> From: Jeff Okamoto <okamoto@hpcc123.corp.hp.com>
>
> I'm now trying to compile 5.002b1f on HP-UX 10.01 without the "transition
> links", a bunch of symlinks to preserve the old flavor of the pre-SVR4
> filesystem layout.
>
> One of the symlinks that went away was the link from /bin to /usr/bin,
> thus rendering "/bin/sh" a non-file. The shells now exist as:
>
> /sbin/sh
> /usr/bin/sh
> /usr/bin/csh
> /usr/bin/ksh

I think that either HP got it wrong or the 'standard' is stupid and
all the over vendors have had the good sense to leave /bin alone.

I can only speak for Solaris 2 (without ucb compatibilty installed).

Tim.
Re: /bin/sh really on SVR4 machines? [ In reply to ]

Jeff> I'm now trying to compile 5.002b1f on HP-UX 10.01 without the "transition
Jeff> links", a bunch of symlinks to preserve the old flavor of the pre-SVR4
Jeff> filesystem layout.

Jeff> One of the symlinks that went away was the link from /bin to /usr/bin,
Jeff> thus rendering "/bin/sh" a non-file. The shells now exist as:

Jeff> /sbin/sh
Jeff> /usr/bin/sh
Jeff> /usr/bin/csh
Jeff> /usr/bin/ksh

Jeff> Although Configure checks for /bin/cat not being there and substituting
Jeff> /usr/bin/cat, I see that it does NOT make a similar check for /bin/sh.

Jeff> Since 10.01 is based on SVR4, can someone running that version confirm
Jeff> that /bin really doesn't exist any more?

I can't believe that someone is releasing something called "Unix"
without something called "/bin/sh".

I doubt that Perl will be the only thing you have a problem with. :-)

Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@ora.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.teleport.com/~merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me
Re: /bin/sh really on SVR4 machines? [ In reply to ]
>|| Since 10.01 is based on SVR4, can someone running that version confirm
>|| that /bin really doesn't exist any more?
>
>This is the first time I've heard of /bin going away. That is
>not the case on Pyramid, NEC, or Solaris flavours of SVR4.

Well, on Power UNIX (which is derived from the ES/MP release that was
a follow-on to SVR4), what we have is:

$ ls -ld /bin /usr/bin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Dec 13 14:00 /bin -> /usr/bin/
drwxrwxr-x 3 root bin 6656 Dec 18 17:15 /usr/bin/

So /bin hasn't really gone away, its just a symlink to /usr/bin.

There are also various programs which may or may not be worth finding
in the /sbin and /usr/sbin directories (which *are* separate directories,
not symlinks).
--
Tom.Horsley@mail.hcsc.com
Home: 511 Kingbird Circle Delray Beach FL 33444
Re: /bin/sh really on SVR4 machines? [ In reply to ]
Tom Horsley wrote :

|| >This is the first time I've heard of /bin going away. That is
|| >not the case on Pyramid, NEC, or Solaris flavours of SVR4.
|| Well, on Power UNIX (which is derived from the ES/MP release that was
|| a follow-on to SVR4), what we have is:
|| $ ls -ld /bin /usr/bin
|| lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Dec 13 14:00 /bin -> /usr/bin/
|| drwxrwxr-x 3 root bin 6656 Dec 18 17:15 /usr/bin/
|| So /bin hasn't really gone away, its just a symlink to /usr/bin.
|| There are also various programs which may or may not be worth finding
|| in the /sbin and /usr/sbin directories (which *are* separate directories,
|| not symlinks).

That's true on the systems I mentioned too. Jeff's original
query that started this, though, said that there was no /bin
(neither a dir nor a symlink) on his HPUX 10. Which sounds
ridiculous to me.

In fact, now that I think about it some more, I would have
expected that building some of my companies code on HPUX 10
would have tripped over this badly, and I haven't heard any
reports of that having occurred - and our code *has* been built
on it. (However, the HP machine we've got here is still running
HPUX 9, so checking it for comparison doesn't tell us much -
just that HPUX 9 had a /bin dir which was not a symlink.)

Re: /bin/sh really on SVR4 machines? [ In reply to ]
John wrote:

> || Well, on Power UNIX (which is derived from the ES/MP release that was
> || a follow-on to SVR4), what we have is:
> || $ ls -ld /bin /usr/bin
> || lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Dec 13 14:00 /bin -> /usr/bin/
> || drwxrwxr-x 3 root bin 6656 Dec 18 17:15 /usr/bin/
> || So /bin hasn't really gone away, its just a symlink to /usr/bin.
> || There are also various programs which may or may not be worth finding
> || in the /sbin and /usr/sbin directories (which *are* separate directories,
> || not symlinks).
>
> That's true on the systems I mentioned too. Jeff's original
> query that started this, though, said that there was no /bin
> (neither a dir nor a symlink) on his HPUX 10. Which sounds
> ridiculous to me.

Apparently its something to do with some 'Compatability Symlinks'
install option? I know I'm running HPUX 10.01 and I have a /bin (which
is a symlink). So its not that broken.

Peter
Peter van Heusden | UCT ITS/TSS | REMEMBER KEN SARO WIWA
pvh@ucthpx.uct.ac.za | standard disclaimer | BOYCOTT SHELL TODAY
+27 21 650 3018 | applies | http://www.gem.co.za/ELA/ken.html