Mailing List Archive

RE: Opening 16-bit app on pipe.
> I am having a problem getting a 16 bit Dos program called PicLab
> to start from a Perl script. The program runs from CLI as expected
> (NT 3.51 using WebSite server). PicLab takes a small .gif and sticks
> it on a larger .gif at a specified x-y location, saving the results
> to a new .gif file. This is my Perl call:
> open (PICLAB,"c:\\piclab\\piclab $mkchart |");
> Close (PICLAB);

Well, until I get off my ass and finish the Win32 version (yes, it's coming), you
won't much like the results even when it does work. I did get a call in the form of
"open(PICLAB, "pl.exe script arg1 arg2 |");" to start Piclab, but it immediately
switched into full-screen mode and crashed. Piclab really is a DOS program--
it polls the hardware to determine your video card and other nasty stuff. I know
a script language shouldn't do that, but I get more complaints from users for not
having display functions than I get for the bad side effects of having them :-)
I've done 'system "pl script arg1";' with no problems, though.

If you're really adventuresome and have more free time than I do, the source code
for Piclab is at my ftp site (ftp.piclab.com) as plsrc193.zip. Go for it.
--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com>
Internet/World Wide Web Consultant