Mailing List Archive

Newbie Questions about NT Perl
I am not very skilled with perl but I am trying to do what seems like a
simple project. I just want to write an nntp client that will collect
specific posts. The mechanics seem simple enough, but the execution is tricky!

First, I've been testing the code on a unix machine but would like to run it
locally on a Win95 machine. My connectivity to the nntp server is worse
here, but the ease of use is much greater. My question is: how can I get
ntperl to use sockets?

Second, sockets are pretty confusing for a newcomer. Can anyone suggest a
slow pitch version of sockets documentation. I have the Camel book and have
looked at the manual, but neither offers much detail on what all the
elements of the samle client do. Further, should these examples run with no
modification on NT Perl?

Last, I'd be interested in hiring someone for some code development hand
holding. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who would be willing to
field a few emails a week for a month or so, for pay.

Thanks!!

Marc Smith
/______________________ | University of California, Los Angeles
|__________________________/ http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/soc/csoc