Mailing List Archive

Re: pTk on Linux
In <199512051651.RAA09642@anna.mind.de>
On Tue, 5 Dec 1995 17:51:46 +0100
Andreas Koenig <andreas.koenig@mind.de> writes:

> stephen> Cannot find -lX11 anywhere at ./myConfig line 184
>

>MakeMaker-5.10 is broken. 5.11 is being tested while I'm writing
>this. Expect it in an hour or two.

MakeMaker-5.10 _is_ broken - I sent mail last night regarding

/\Q$self->{LIBEXT}$/ # match files /\.a\$/ I don't have Tk.a$ ...

vs

/\Q$self->{LIBEXT}\E$/ # match files /\.a$/ I do have Tk.a

However Steve's problem is in Tk's myConfig which fails *before*
Makefile.PL calls WriteMakefile().

Linux folk need to let me know where X11 can 'hide' so I can look there.
Workround is

perl Makefile.PL X11=/path/to/X11

Also recent Configure change to (perhaps) add -L/use/local/lib is messing
up *my* default search for X11 on my hacked Sun configurations.
(It is finding link /usr/local/lib/libX11.a and building
static linked - ugh.)
Re: pTk on Linux [ In reply to ]

stephen> So I finally broke down an bought a PC, got Linux (latest Slackware 3.0)
stephen> running and am hacking on Perl and pTk. Perl won't build DBM, but that's
stephen> another problem (-:

stephen> For pTk i get:

stephen> perl Makefile.PL

stephen> Cannot find -lX11 anywhere at ./myConfig line 184

stephen> I can't seem to dig up the magic words here.... has anyone done this?

stephen> Thanks,

MakeMaker-5.10 is broken. 5.11 is being tested while I'm writing
this. Expect it in an hour or two.

andreas
Re: pTk on Linux [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:

> In <199512051651.RAA09642@anna.mind.de>
> On Tue, 5 Dec 1995 17:51:46 +0100
> Andreas Koenig <andreas.koenig@mind.de> writes:
> >
> > stephen> Cannot find -lX11 anywhere at ./myConfig line 184
> >

> >MakeMaker-5.10 is broken. 5.11 is being tested while I'm writing
> >this. Expect it in an hour or two.
> >
> MakeMaker-5.10 _is_ broken - I sent mail last night regarding
>
> /\Q$self->{LIBEXT}$/ # match files /\.a\$/ I don't have Tk.a$ ...
>
> vs
>
> /\Q$self->{LIBEXT}\E$/ # match files /\.a$/ I do have Tk.a
>
> However Steve's problem is in Tk's myConfig which fails *before*
> Makefile.PL calls WriteMakefile().
>
> Linux folk need to let me know where X11 can 'hide' so I can look there.
> Workround is
>
> perl Makefile.PL X11=/path/to/X11
>
> Also recent Configure change to (perhaps) add -L/use/local/lib is messing
> up *my* default search for X11 on my hacked Sun configurations.
> (It is finding link /usr/local/lib/libX11.a and building
> static linked - ugh.)

That "recent" Configure change was put there in part in response to *your*
complaints (and others) about Configure not finding /usr/local/lib/libgdbm.a.

Nevertheless, it does seem that perhaps Liblist.pm ought to recognize
that $lddlflags might have a bunch of -L's in it, and they probably
ought to be honored instead of (or in preference to?) the hard-wired
ones in a Makefile.PL.

If anyone wants to submit a patch, you know my address . . . . :-)

Andy Dougherty doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu
Re: pTk on Linux [ In reply to ]
In <Pine.3.89.9512051749.A20980-0100000@lafcol>
On Tue, 5 Dec 1995 17:37:48 -0500 (EST)
Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu> writes:

>> Also recent Configure change to (perhaps) add -L/use/local/lib is messing
>> up *my* default search for X11 on my hacked Sun configurations.
>> (It is finding link /usr/local/lib/libX11.a and building
>> static linked - ugh.)
>
>That "recent" Configure change was put there in part in response to *your*
>complaints (and others) about Configure not finding /usr/local/lib/libgdbm.a.

Agreed and thank you - adding /usr/local/lib is the right thing for
Configure to do IMHO.

However, it makes Tk's myConfig behave strangely on my *local*
heavily "linked" local system. (The links are there to allow more
non-Tk, non-perl, X11 apps which don't understand Sun's /usr/openwin to build.)
Snag is I build on MY machine which has the links, then binary won't
(always) run on other machines on site which don't.

The problem is purely local/private one - please leave configure as it is.

>Nevertheless, it does seem that perhaps Liblist.pm ought to recognize
>that $lddlflags might have a bunch of -L's in it, and they probably
>ought to be honored instead of (or in preference to?) the hard-wired
>ones in a Makefile.PL.

Extra -L's will 'normally' be harmless - particularly if -L/-l ordering
is preserved, however there will be cases where they cause trouble.
I think that Makefile.PL should be definitive, if it needs to it should
default should be to propagate $lddlflags from Config with Makefile.PL
having ability to override.