Mailing List Archive

[announce] Upcoming patches a, b, c, and d.
Hello, everyone. I'm finally back from my conference, and I've had
enough time to test & document what little I've done so far with beta1.

This stuff is mostly almost two weeks old. If your favorite contribution
isn't here, don't despair -- I'll try to get to it soon.

I should have enough time to provide quick turn-around this week, so look for
some more patches toward the end of the week. I seen in my incoming mail
box that I've got several.

My plan is to provide a lot of small, self-contained patches so that
everyone can keep in sync and not have to wade through a series of
rejects. I'll upload my patches to CPAN (I'm module author ANDYD),
and post them here if they are small (so far, they all are small, so I'll
post them all).

I've decided to call the patches 'a', 'b', etc. so that we have a
shorthand way of referring to where you are. You could easily have
called patch.2b1a == xsubpp-1.924, patch.2b1b == MakeMaker-5.10, etc.,
but then it's clumsy to submit a bug report and specify what you have
and have not applied.

Don't worry, we're not going to get into a months-long state where
you're at some unofficial patch level on top of a beta1. I hope
to move all this quickly along.

These patches have been tested on
SunOS 4.1.3
Solaris 2.4 (x86 and SPARC)
Linux 1.2.13 (ELF).
I'll get to Interactive SVR3 in the next few days, I hope.

There are certainly still some things to do after patch.2b1d (that's
patch 'd' on top of 5.002beta1, if you're curious about my naming scheme),
but I hope to get the most important of them out of the way quite soon.

Anyway, without further ado, the next 4 messages from me will be patches
a through d.

Andy Dougherty doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu
Dept. of Physics
Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042
Re: [announce] Upcoming patches a, b, c, and d. [ In reply to ]
Andy points out to me that the patches work much better when you read
and actually follow the instructions in the messages, especially those
for patch d.

Oops!

Jeffrey Kegler, Algorists, Inc.
jeffrey@algorists.com, http://www.best.com/~jeffrey
743 East El Camino Real #338, Sunnyvale CA 94087
Re: [announce] Upcoming patches a, b, c, and d. [ In reply to ]
I'll be making my patches (and a fully patched source tree) available
on CPAN under modules/authors/ANDYD. I've uploaded the files to
ftp.cis.ufl.edu/incoming, but it'll take a couple of days for them to
make it onto the CPAN master site and then to be mirrored around the
world. I've been having trouble connecting to the outside world during
the past couple of days.

In the meantime, you can fetch the files from the ufl incoming directory,
provided you give the exact file names (as given below).

I've uploaded the following 5 files to

ftp://ftp.cis.ufl.edu/incoming

Pathes a through d for perl5.002beta1. Please read the instructions
at the top of each one before applying:

perl5.002beta1.patch.2b1a.gz
perl5.002beta1.patch.2b1b.gz
perl5.002beta1.patch.2b1c.gz
perl5.002beta1.patch.2b1d.gz

A fully patched version of perl5.002b1d:
perl5.002b1d.tar.gz

Have fun.

Oh, and expect these to be obsolete in another couple of days :-)