--
Maintainer/Programmer for Virtual Unix | http://www.itribe.net/virtunix
Bringing Unix TCP/IP programs to Windows 95...
Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]
There is no DBM support in NTPerl.
Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]
>> There is no DBM support in NTPerl.

>Really? Perhaps something is broken then. Perl comes with SDBM
>support built-in. What happened to that?
>I also don't see why you aren't bundling Berkeley DB with it.

Last time I checked, none of the DBM packages compiled under Windows
NT (including SDBM). We haven't seen it to be a high-priority to tweak
a DBM package for NT, especially what with ODBC extensions now being
available.
Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Wei-Yuen Tan wrote:

> There is no DBM support in NTPerl.

Huh? Why not? You should at least link SDBM_File into a static
executable. That's why we supplied sdbm.

Andy Dougherty doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu
Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Tom Christiansen wrote:

> > There is no DBM support in NTPerl.
>
> Really? Perhaps something is broken then. Perl comes with SDBM
> support built-in. What happened to that?
>
> I also don't see why you aren't bundling Berkeley DB with it.

I can easily understand this if NTPerl doesn't yet support dynamic loading.
Berkeley DB is much larger than sdbm, and you might not want to include DB in
your static executable. Indeed just this sort of trade-off is partly why
perl includes sdbm by default instead of DB.

Andy Dougherty doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu
Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]
In article <9511270934.AA09119@aachen.ericsson.se>, you wrote:
>>I am trying to get a perl man pager running on Win95 with perl5, and I get
>>the error Can't locate AnyDBM_File.pm in @INC at makewhatis line 104.
>>
>>Can anyone help me get this file included? Many thanks
>
>It would appear that you don't have your perl libraries properly
>installed. Even if DBM didn't work on NT (it does, right, at
>least with SDBM and probably DB_File and GDBM?), you should have
>gotten a different error message.

I set up the three registry variable it said to. Can you suggest anything else
I must do to set up the libraries correctly?

--
Maintainter/Programmer for Virtually Un*x | http://www.itribe.net/virtunix
Bringing the power of UNIX TCP/IP to Windows95
Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]
>I am trying to get a perl man pager running on Win95 with perl5, and I get the
<BOGUS PC WORD WRAP>error
>Can't locate AnyDBM_File.pm in @INC at makewhatis line 104.
>
>Can anyone help me get this file included? Many thanks

It would appear that you don't have your perl libraries properly
installed. Even if DBM didn't work on NT (it does, right, at
least with SDBM and probably DB_File and GDBM?), you should have
gotten a different error message.

--tom
Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]

Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]
Last time I checked, none of the DBM packages compiled under Windows
NT (including SDBM). We haven't seen it to be a high-priority to tweak
a DBM package for NT, especially what with ODBC extensions now being
available.

Where can I get my hands on the ODBC extensions.

Where can I get the status of the NT port, what else is going
to be added, etc. The faq's don't mention anything from what
I can tell.

Mike
Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]
>> There is no DBM support in NTPerl.
>Really? Perhaps something is broken then. Perl comes with SDBM
>support built-in. What happened to that?
>I also don't see why you aren't bundling Berkeley DB with it.

>Last time I checked, none of the DBM packages compiled under Windows
>NT (including SDBM).

>We haven't seen it to be a high-priority to tweak
>a DBM package for NT, especially what with ODBC extensions now being
>available.

Remember that people want to use perl to write portable applications.
They'd rather not have to be aware of the underlying operating
system as possible. Making dbmopen() work (and preferably
also tie DB_File) would help folks a lot.

--tom
Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]
>no, sorry, i don't know anything about the alien port.
>but i don't know why sdbm or DB_File shouldn't be there.
>keith says that DB_File even works without an operating
>system (ie. ms-dos). i would have thought that since
>nt is POSIX compliant, that it should have all worked
>there easily enough.

NT's POSIX sub-system is only 1003.1 compliant, barely enough to port
"cat" and "ls" over from Unix.

Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]
Tom Christiansen writes:

> > There is no DBM support in NTPerl.
>
> Really? Perhaps something is broken then. Perl comes with SDBM
> support built-in. What happened to that?

Well, it needed O_BINARY patch under OS/2, but it is in in
5.002beta1. Though NTperl stuck at some llllevel... ;-)

Ilya
Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]
>i would have thought that since nt is POSIX compliant, that it should have
>all worked there easily enough.

This is a common misconception. NT programs are only POSIX compliant if they
are built and run exclusively in the POSIX subsystem, thus walling them
completely and utterly off from *all* useful features of NT. POSIX subsystem
programs can't do graphics (just as one example of a useful feature they
are denied), and they can't even invoke non-POSIX programs. For all practical
purposes NT is not POSIX and no one wishing to do useful work on NT would
ever consider the POSIX subsystem as a useful resource to include in their
toolbox :-(.
--
Tom.Horsley@mail.hcsc.com
Home: 511 Kingbird Circle Delray Beach FL 33444
Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]

Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]

Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]

Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]

Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]

Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]

Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]

Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]

Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]

Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]

Re: AnyDBM_file with NTPerl [ In reply to ]
>i would have thought that since nt is POSIX compliant, that it should have
>all worked there easily enough.

This is a common misconception. NT programs are only POSIX compliant if they
are built and run exclusively in the POSIX subsystem, thus walling them
completely and utterly off from *all* useful features of NT. POSIX subsystem
programs can't do graphics (just as one example of a useful feature they
are denied), and they can't even invoke non-POSIX programs. For all practical
purposes NT is not POSIX and no one wishing to do useful work on NT would
ever consider the POSIX subsystem as a useful resource to include in their
toolbox :-(.
--
Tom.Horsley@mail.hcsc.com
Home: 511 Kingbird Circle Delray Beach FL 33444
Work: Harris Computers, 2101 W. Cypress Creek Rd. Ft. Lauderdale FL 33309
Support Project Vote Smart! They need your support in non-election years too!
(email pvs@neu.edu, 1-800-622-SMART, http://www.vote-smart.org)

1 2  View All