think that the blanks on the boundary of a prototype may be swallowed
by the parser, any objections?

Ilya
Re: Spaces in prototypes [ In reply to ]
>This is very unfortunate for Emacs since having

I am more than merely slightly unfond of emacs's parsing idiotsynchrasies
continuing to be a driving force behind perl development. I guess it
would not be too bad to have spaces there (per unpack) but I wonder
when its time for the behemoth tail to stop wagging its dog.

--tom

(construing <emacs> to be a singular noun)
Re: Spaces in prototypes and Emacs [ In reply to ]
Tom Christiansen writes:

> >This is very unfortunate for Emacs since having
>
> I am more than merely slightly unfond of emacs's parsing idiotsynchrasies
> continuing to be a driving force behind perl development. I guess it
> would not be too bad to have spaces there (per unpack) but I wonder
> when its time for the behemoth tail to stop wagging its dog.

The question is that of mythical man-months. My request is filed, the
solution is accepted, and counteracted by an offer to implement it. As
you may guess, I rejected the honor.

So if anyone is interested in changing Emacs's syntax engine to
recognize text properties `syntax' and `syntax-table', give me (or/and
rms) know. I will forward the you our email exchange.

Ilya