Mailing List Archive

5.002beta buglets
Actually, one buglet that manifests multiple times.

Of course, it could just be that my system are wierd (which is true).

I haven't had a chance to trace this down exactly, but when Configure tries
to figure out hostname and domain, it gets some wierd results.

On one machine I tested it on, it found the hostname correctly (we'll say
it is perl.com for example). Notice that the hostname is only two part.
When it tried to determine the domain name, it ended up with ".com".

Now that I think of it, my second problem is my screwy setup, so I won't
mention it.

I mentioned yesterday, or the day before, a patch for perlre.pod to remove
confusion about backreferences. The line numbers may be off (this is
against 5.001n), but this should be an improvement:

*** perlre.pod.orig Mon Nov 20 22:14:57 1995
--- perlre.pod Mon Nov 20 22:41:58 1995
***************
*** 217,224 ****

=item (?=regexp)

! A zero-width positive lookahead assertion. For example, C</\w+(?=\t)/>
! matches a word followed by a tab, without including the tab in C<$&>.

=item (?!regexp)

--- 217,226 ----

=item (?=regexp)

! A zero-width positive lookahead assertion. Since the lookahead is
! zero-width, anything within it is not added to the match or to any
! reference. For example, C</\w+(?=\t)/> matches a word followed by a tab,

Re: 5.002beta buglets [ In reply to ]
Strange sunspot activity caused Graham Barr <bodg@tiuk.ti.com> to write:
| What code were you using to determine this. If you were using Net::Domain
| I would expect it to return

No, no. This is during the Configure stage. Before perl is even built.

-spp
Re: 5.002beta buglets [ In reply to ]
Stephen Potter <spp@psa.pencom.com> writes:
>Actually, one buglet that manifests multiple times.
>
>Of course, it could just be that my system are wierd (which is true).
>
>I haven't had a chance to trace this down exactly, but when Configure tries
>to figure out hostname and domain, it gets some wierd results.
>
>On one machine I tested it on, it found the hostname correctly (we'll say
>it is perl.com for example). Notice that the hostname is only two part.
>When it tried to determine the domain name, it ended up with ".com".

What code were you using to determine this. If you were using Net::Domain
I would expect it to return

hostname() = perl
domainname() = perl.com
hostdomain() = com

Regards,
Graham.

--
Graham Barr <bodg@tiuk.ti.com>
Texas Instruments Ltd.
Re: 5.002beta buglets [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Nov 1995, Stephen Potter wrote:

> Actually, one buglet that manifests multiple times.
>
> Of course, it could just be that my system are wierd (which is true).
>
> I haven't had a chance to trace this down exactly, but when Configure tries
> to figure out hostname and domain, it gets some wierd results.

I just use the standard metaconfig units for this.

Seriously, since this information is only used to get a default mailing
address for perlbug to CC: the local perl administrator, I'm not going to
worry about it very much. (Especially since I didn't include perlbug!)

If someone else wants to submit a tested patch, I'll try to apply it.

[.Wow. I seem to be accounting for 50% of the traffic today. Sorry folks.]

Andy Dougherty doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu