Where within a distribution directory should I put a utility script
that is for use by the author(s) during development, but isn't needed
during build, and shouldn't be installed? (Specifically, somewhere under
dist/ExtUtils-ParseXS/).

I assume that stuff under bin/ gets automatically installed??

--
The optimist believes that he lives in the best of all possible worlds.
As does the pessimist.
Re: where to put dist utility script [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:33:32 +0000
Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:

> Where within a distribution directory should I put a utility script
> that is for use by the author(s) during development, but isn't needed
> during build, and shouldn't be installed? (Specifically, somewhere
> under dist/ExtUtils-ParseXS/).
>
> I assume that stuff under bin/ gets automatically installed??

In a normal CPAN module I've done things like having a
"rebuild-thing.pl" script just at toplevel. Being called ".pl"
lowercase, it doesn't confuse EU:MM or MB into running it. I don't know
whether that would work for dists that are shipped with core perl.

Failing that, I would imagine something like a "regen/" directory
within the dist should also get ignored. The name "regen" also
reminiscent of the toplevel one used by perl core itself, would
suggest to folks what its purpose is.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/ | https://www.tindie.com/stores/leonerd/
Re: where to put dist utility script [ In reply to ]
I have all my development stuff (utilities, data, …) in a
directory called "dev" or "devel". In the file MANIFEST.SKIP,
I have

# Avoid development stuff.
^dev(el)?/

and in the file .gitignore, I have

# development stuff
/devel/
/dev/

Peter
Re: where to put dist utility script [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 8:34?AM Peter John Acklam <pjacklam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have all my development stuff (utilities, data, …) in a
> directory called "dev" or "devel". In the file MANIFEST.SKIP,
> I have
>
> # Avoid development stuff.
> ^dev(el)?/
>
> and in the file .gitignore, I have
>
> # development stuff
> /devel/
> /dev/

Devel::PPPort also uses devel (which is included in perl5 source).

Moose uses author/.

I think either would be fine.

-- Matthew Horsfall (alh)
Re: where to put dist utility script [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 09:03:01 -0400, "Matthew Horsfall (alh)" <wolfsage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 8:34?AM Peter John Acklam <pjacklam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I have all my development stuff (utilities, data, …) in a
> > directory called "dev" or "devel". In the file MANIFEST.SKIP,
> > I have
> >
> > # Avoid development stuff.
> > ^dev(el)?/
> >
> > and in the file .gitignore, I have
> >
> > # development stuff
> > /devel/
> > /dev/
> >

> Devel::PPPort also uses devel (which is included in perl5 source).
>
> Moose uses author/.

I use /sandbox everywhere for stuff that should be in git but not in a dist/release

> I think either would be fine.

me too

--
H.Merijn Brand https://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.37 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux