Mailing List Archive

Feb 20 "Contentious changes freeze"
In 10 days, on February 20, we will release perl-5.39.8. According to
Porting/release_schedule.pod, this release entails "Contentious changes
freeze." As I read that, that means that anything we're still arguing
over when we reach February 20 is no longer eligible for inclusion in
our production release of perl-5.40.0 in May.

The rationale for this deadline is that the closer we get to the annual
production release, the less time we have to do high quality QA work.
In particular, it takes us a couple of months to fully assess the
changes in the core on CPAN distributions: the "Blead Breaks CPAN" or
"BBC" problem.

I mention this because, when reading recent posts to this list and (to a
lesser extent) to our GH issues and pull requests queues, I see several
statements along the lines of "I want this in perl-5.40" or "Can we get
this in perl-5.40?" If you are thinking along those lines about some
feature request or inclusion of a new module in core, you should prepare
yourself for the possibility that your wish may not be realized in the
current production cycle.

I would like to request that the PSC (one of whose members will
presumably be doing the May production release) review the outstanding
pull requests and, at the very least, get a feel for which of them are
still contentious and should be labeled "defer-next-dev."

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan
Re: Feb 20 "Contentious changes freeze" [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:52:42 -0500
James E Keenan <jkeenan@pobox.com> wrote:

> I would like to request that the PSC (one of whose members will
> presumably be doing the May production release) review the
> outstanding pull requests and, at the very least, get a feel for
> which of them are still contentious and should be labeled
> "defer-next-dev."

We started addressing this timeline in the most recent meeting; see the
notes from PSC #136.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS