Mailing List Archive

Release announcement for perl v5.39.6
"Do I have to talk to insane people?"
"You're a librarian now. I'm afraid it's mandatory."

-- Jasper Fforde, "The Woman Who Died a Lot"

We are as happy as a clam to announce version 5.39.6,
the 7th development release of version 5.39 of Perl.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.39.6 from your
favorite CPAN mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/BOOK/perl-5.39.6/

SHA256 digests for this release are:

cb8715636bc744cca6e8864b6daa16f388d16ca3a134df6e6f35bbbe39dd7f63 perl-5.39.6.tar.gz
ab166f57398698f0c13e6733b6a6b0cfb68ebb8f19ed2197650d7509a4ca17bc perl-5.39.6.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located in
the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at

https://metacpan.org/release/BOOK/perl-5.39.6/view/pod/perldelta.pod

Perl 5.39.6 represents approximately 6 weeks of development since Perl
5.39.5 and contains approximately 9,400 lines of changes across 220 files
from 20 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there were
approximately 6,700 lines of changes to 150 .pm, .t, .c and .h files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to have
contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.39.6:

Chad Granum, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Dagfinn Ilmari Manns?ker, David
Mitchell, E. Choroba, Elvin Aslanov, iabyn, James E Keenan, Karen Etheridge,
Karl Williamson, Lukas Mai, Paul Evans, Peter John Acklam, Philippe Bruhat
(BooK), Scott Baker, Sisyphus, Steve Hay, TAKAI Kousuke, Tony Cook, x-yuri.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not include
the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who reported issues to
the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN modules
included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN community for
helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors, please
see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release version 5.39.7 on 2024-01-20.
The next major stable release of Perl should appear in the first half of 2024.

Thanks, and happy New Year!

--
Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

Everyone's life seems easier from the outside.
Re: Release announcement for perl v5.39.6 [ In reply to ]
Congrats Philippe, Congrats Perlers! :-)

Happy New Year All!

Re: Release announcement for perl v5.39.6 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 30, 2023, at 17:06, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:
> We are as happy as a clam to announce version 5.39.6,
> the 7th development release of version 5.39 of Perl.

As a *clam*? But I thought perls came from oysters.

Thanks for your continued efforts to keep the perls coming, I will continue to consume them.

--
rjbs