--
Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

Even the worst guesser is right once in a while.
Re: PSC #128 2023-12-14 [ In reply to ]
> submitted a talk proposal to the Perl dev room at FOSDEM

Links, please

Re: PSC #128 2023-12-14 [ In reply to ]
Can you elaborate on any discussions related to Perl > 5.x?

Re: PSC #128 2023-12-14 [ In reply to ]

> Quote of the week: “There _are_ features that make the language slow,
> but those are the features that _make_ the language.”

Should it mean: feature first, performance later ?
Re: PSC #128 2023-12-14 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 01:14:34 +0100
Elvin Aslanov <rwp.primary@gmail.com> wrote:

> > submitted a talk proposal to the Perl dev room at FOSDEM
>
> Links, please

I don't think they're public yet until the schedule is published, but
we submitted "Updates from the PSC"

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/ | https://www.tindie.com/stores/leonerd/
Re: PSC #128 2023-12-14 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 18:39:23 -0800
Scott Baker <scott@perturb.org> wrote:

> Can you elaborate on any discussions related to Perl > 5.x?

Mostly just that the digit '5' is embedded eeeeverywhere. Github
repository names, mailing list names, environment variable names,
packaging system names (e.g. OpenBSD ports) so it will take a lot of
work to flush them all out and get everyone to remove them all. It is
likely the sort of thing that's going to need a year or two of trials
and test versions first before we get everything lined up.

I did briefly think about whether we can do a dual track of two
different version numbers for the same code - for example, what if 5.42
was also released as 7.2, and 5.44 also as 7.4 and so on; but in
practice we thought that might end up being even more confusing. So in
the end that might not be a workable plan.

Re: PSC #128 2023-12-14 [ In reply to ]
Hi there,
11;rgb:ffff/ffff/ffff
On Fri, 15 Dec 2023, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 18:39:23 -0800
> Scott Baker <scott@perturb.org> wrote:
>
>> Can you elaborate on any discussions related to Perl > 5.x?
>
> Mostly just that the digit '5' is embedded eeeeverywhere. Github
> repository names, mailing list names, environment variable names,
> packaging system names (e.g. OpenBSD ports) so it will take a lot of
> work to flush them all out and get everyone to remove them all.

So don't change it.

The change will do little more than cause suspicion.

--

73,
Ged.
Re: PSC #128 2023-12-14 [ In reply to ]
> So don't change it.
>
> The change will do little more than cause suspicion.

maybe another change with better visibility from non-perl world: change
version implementation so
it will be possible to release perl version 5.2024.0

Re: PSC #128 2023-12-14 [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On 12/15/23 09:54, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 01:14:34 +0100
> Elvin Aslanov <rwp.primary@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> submitted a talk proposal to the Perl dev room at FOSDEM
>> Links, please
> I don't think they're public yet until the schedule is published, but
> we submitted "Updates from the PSC"

It seems here's the link:

https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-3570-updates-from-the-psc/

So it's on Saturday, 3rd of February 2024, on FOSDEM, the big European
open source developers conference in Brussels, and there seems to be a
'Perl and Raku' devroom on Saturday -->
https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/track/perl-raku/

 in PSC#125, Philippe wrote:

* FOSDEM Perl Devroom CfP: none of us are planning to attend in person,
but if someone else wanted to present on our behalf we could

And I guess this has changed, and at least Paul will be there?

I was planning on attending FOSDEM - it's always great! I was trying to create a list of talks I might be interested in a couple weeks ago and then the Perl/raku devroom was not there yet (or I just missed it!) and now I found it. While I do not do lots of perly stuff nowadays if it fits I might attend a presentation, or run into some perl people there

--
Michiel