Mailing List Archive

Fwd: PPC Elevator Pitch for Perl::Types
Resending to list.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Avery Adams <oldtechaa@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 at 15:55
Subject: Re: PPC Elevator Pitch for Perl::Types
To: Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net>

With Oshun providing dynamic "types", I would have to imagine it would be
less performant even using the same approach to data checking, simply
because the types aren't predefined with known structure/characteristics.
Would that not be the case?

Avery

Re: Fwd: PPC Elevator Pitch for Perl::Types [ In reply to ]
As I understand it, Oshun provides a syntax for asserting "checks" when
assignments to variables are made. In the MVP each "check" is
system-defined/built-in and has basics like integer/number/etc.

I'm saying that there's no reason those built-in checks have to be implemented
by casting the value as a string and performing a regular expression pattern
match on the result.

Instead I would expect these built-in checks to not perform any casting and
instead evaluate the candidate values as-is using the most efficient known
methods like asking is this an IV etc in the "integer" check.

As far as I know that's the same strategy Perl::Types would be using.

Neither would unconditionally be using regular expressions to ask if a value was
an integer.

-- Darren Duncan