Mailing List Archive

Browser / Toolchain compatibility - Was: Re: PPC Elevator Pitch for Perl::Types
I hope this reply breaks out into a separate thread, given that the discussion is off-topic to the original thread.

On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:16:08 +0200, G.W. Haywood via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

>>> I've just spent an hour trying and to all intents and purposes failing
>>> to read this document.
>>>
>>> Am I excluded because <browser>?
>
> I'm using Palemoon. The only browser addon installed is uBlock Origin
> which is disabled for github.

No you ain't excluded because browser. Find attached a png of palemoon on my system loading the link above just fine.

> fact that much of the embellishment renders in Palemoon as a rotating icon

> currently running six windows with between them about 500 open tabs;

These might be connected, and i say this because i do the same thing.

As a first line diagnostic, open a tab in palemoon with the link above, hit F12 and open the network tab in the newly opened interface, then hit F5 to reload the website and see if the network tab indicates any errors.

A spinner getting stuck typically means that the page tried to load something and network or browser-internal processing issues prevented it from being loaded, resulting in an error that's novel to the website.

Depending on what the network tab indicates, ways to redress this are as follows:

1. install https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/suspender/ to reduce the background load of open tabs
2. ensure your wifi has good connectivity if you're on wifi
3. inspect the network meter of your router, and if you see the outbound line maxed out consistently, debug your network and identify the culprit, as high outbound loads can block downloads

--
With regards,
Christian Walde
Re: Browser / Toolchain compatibility - Was: Re: PPC Elevator Pitch for Perl::Types [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

Thanks very much for taking an interest in this. Good call on the subject line.

On Wed, 16 Aug 2023, Christian Walde wrote:

>> Am I excluded because <browser>?
>> I'm using Palemoon. ...
>
> No you ain't excluded because browser. Find attached a png of palemoon on my
> system loading the link above just fine.

I'm slightly surprised that a quarter megabyte image got past the list. :)

>> fact that much of the embellishment renders in Palemoon as a rotating icon
>
>> currently running six windows with between them about 500 open tabs;
>
> These might be connected, and i say this because i do the same thing.
>
> As a first line diagnostic, open a tab in palemoon with the link above, hit
> F12 and open the network tab in the newly opened interface, then hit F5 to
> reload the website and see if the network tab indicates any errors.

79 requests for a page of 4333.56 kbytes, 864.82 kBytes actually
transferred, a bunch of 304s for scripts, stylesheets and a single
0-byte image - all presumably cached already - but no actual errors.
The very first file transferred is README.md, of size 197.18 kbytes,
transferred 44.54 kbytes (so I guess it was compressed for the actual
transfer), response code 200. It just doesn't appear on the screen.

> A spinner getting stuck typically means that the page tried to load something
> and network or browser-internal processing issues prevented it from being
> loaded, resulting in an error that's novel to the website.
>
> Depending on what the network tab indicates, ways to redress this are as
> follows:
>
> 1. install https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/suspender/ to reduce the
> background load of open tabs

Thanks, I'll take a look at this one in any case but let's be clear,
the spinner getting stuck is *not* the issue with this particular
page. The issue is that although the document load does complete,
apart from all the window-dressing, the page is completely blank.

> 2. ensure your wifi has good connectivity if you're on wifi

Wired all the way from the cabinet up the road, British Telecom's ADSL
and Ethernet LAN. BT's length of glass fibre is, unfortunately, about
200 yards too short to reach us. (After all it is just an industrial
estate in the British midlands - the heartlands of UK manufacturing.)

> 3. inspect the network meter of your router, and if you see the outbound line
> maxed out consistently, debug your network and identify the culprit, as high
> outbound loads can block downloads

There are no issues of that sort, although if my calculation is
correct the download amplification factor is pretty impressive (the
4.3 Mbytes downloaded to get a 1799 byte file seems like x 2,400).

What version of Palemon are you using? Are you using IPv4 or IPv6?
We've noticed that sometimes websites don't seem to play well with our
IPv6 client addresses, and we've had to disable IPv6 for them. Until
now it hadn't occurred to me that github might be one of them but I'll
look into that too, even though downloading from

raw.githubusercontent.com

seems to be working fine, so I'm not holding my breath.

--

73,
Ged.
Re: Browser / Toolchain compatibility - Was: Re: PPC Elevator Pitch for Perl::Types [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 17:00:52 +0200, G.W. Haywood <perl5porters@jubileegroup.co.uk> wrote:

> 79 requests for a page of 4333.56 kbytes, 864.82 kBytes actually
> transferred, a bunch of 304s for scripts, stylesheets and a single
> 0-byte image - all presumably cached already - but no actual errors.
> The very first file transferred is README.md, of size 197.18 kbytes,
> transferred 44.54 kbytes (so I guess it was compressed for the actual
> transfer), response code 200. It just doesn't appear on the screen.

Aight, that data sounds about right.

>> 1. install https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/suspender/ to reduce the
>> background load of open tabs
>
> Thanks, I'll take a look at this one in any case but let's be clear,
> the spinner getting stuck is *not* the issue with this particular
> page. The issue is that although the document load does complete,
> apart from all the window-dressing, the page is completely blank.

Suspender might still help. Does the console tab indicate errors?

Cable is good.

> What version of Palemon are you using?

32.3.1 64 bit on Win 10.

> Are you using IPv4 or IPv6?
> We've noticed that sometimes websites don't seem to play well with our
> IPv6 client addresses, and we've had to disable IPv6 for them. Until
> now it hadn't occurred to me that github might be one of them

My router has no IPv6 address.

With all the obvious stuff out of the way, if suspender and updating palemoon doesn't help, go to https://support.github.com/contact?source=subtitle&tags=rr-general-technical and describe the issue. In the past they've been quite communicative.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde
Re: Browser / Toolchain compatibility - Was: Re: PPC Elevator Pitch for Perl::Types [ In reply to ]
Hi Christian,

On Thu, 17 Aug 2023, Christian Walde wrote:

> ... Does the console tab indicate errors? ...

Yes, lots. One warning "Directive 'child-src' has been deprecated"
and 28 syntax errors, all suspiciously similar:

"SyntaxError: expected expression, got '.' [Learn More]...filename.js

The [Learn More] link goes to a Mozilla page explaining what a syntax
error in JavaScript is. I've attached a JS fragment which contains a
comment apparently from the author about seeing a *different* error,
but not because I'm hoping you'll be doing any debugging for me. Just
thought you might be interested in github JS syntax errors I'm seeing.
I've attached a cropped version of the page in case you're curious to
see the script names. Please shout if something seems obvious but I
don't expect you to do more actual work on this than you already have,
and for which I'm very grateful.

> ... 32.3.1 64 bit on Win 10.

I'm still on 29.something here so I probably should look at that, and
maybe there's disagreement about the JS language specifications, or my
browser is so out of date that it doesn't grok a new JS version, but
it doesn't seem likely to be the issue because my experience of github
has been this way more or less for ever.

> ... tags=rr-general-technical ... communicative.

Thanks for that too, useful to know.

This should probably go private if it's to continue, private mail to
my list address may face a few hurdles but I will see it.

--

73,
Ged.