Mailing List Archive

State of the Strawberry
As you all know, we've been trying to pick up and get Strawberry
builds going for a while now. A new Strawberry version hasn't been
officially released since Perl v5.32.

Over the past year, a lot of progress has been made (mostly due to the
efforts of Shawn Laffan).

Thank you, Shawn!!

We look to be near a point now where the build process is well
understood and new builds are going a bit more smoothly.

To that end, Shawn has cut a dev release of Strawberry Perl v5.38:
https://github.com/StrawberryPerl/Perl-Dist-Strawberry/releases/tag/dev_5380_20230705_gcc13

Please give it a test and put some issues on the GitHub repo if and
when you find problems.

Remaining issues with Strawberry:
* Complete documentation process for the rest of the build (most is
here: https://github.com/StrawberryPerl/spbuild)
* Work out some licensing questions about IF we can still distribute
DBD::Oracle as the client from Oracle has a license that seems suspect
* Gain access to the strawberryperl.com server
* Fix the site to no longer have outdated information
* Fix the hashes for each of the downloads
* Publish the latest releases to the site.

If you can help with any of those tasks, we'd love to have your
assistance! The easiest ways to communicate with us:
* talk with us on irc.perl.org #win32
* start tickets on the strawberry repos
* send me an email

-- Chase
Re: State of the Strawberry [ In reply to ]
Hats in the air! This is fantastic news. Thank you!

cheers,
-Felipe

Re: State of the Strawberry [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 5, 2023 at 2:17?PM Chase Whitener <cwhitener@gmail.com> wrote:

> To that end, Shawn has cut a dev release of Strawberry Perl v5.38:
>
> https://github.com/StrawberryPerl/Perl-Dist-Strawberry/releases/tag/dev_5380_20230705_gcc13

Thank you!

As an aside, we're currently working with a huge client who's been bitten
by ActiveState's changes and used Strawberry Perl to work around the
difficulties. However, they're looking at StrawBerry Perl support and they
realize their risk. Perl is on the chopping block.

Our poor support for Perl on Windows is hurting us.

Best,
Ovid
--
Curtis "Ovid" Poe
Re: State of the Strawberry [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 15:49:46 +0200, Ovid <curtis.poe@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 5, 2023 at 2:17?PM Chase Whitener <cwhitener@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > To that end, Shawn has cut a dev release of Strawberry Perl v5.38:
> >
> > https://github.com/StrawberryPerl/Perl-Dist-Strawberry/releases/tag/dev_5380_20230705_gcc13
>
> Thank you!
>
> As an aside, we're currently working with a huge client who's been bitten
> by ActiveState's changes and used Strawberry Perl to work around the
> difficulties. However, they're looking at StrawBerry Perl support and they
> realize their risk. Perl is on the chopping block.
>
> Our poor support for Perl on Windows is hurting us.

So is the lack of a decent toolset to build GUIs
Tk? Wx? Gtk? None work on all supported OS's and even then, some
look different on a different WM or base OS.

And Prima does not work everywhere.

There is no guide, not recommendation and no support

We are really great in building glue layers, protocols, transport layers,
converters, monitors, analyzers, search machinery and whatever, but we
have no decent unified environment to make that appeal management.

--
H.Merijn Brand https://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.37 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux
Re: State of the Strawberry [ In reply to ]
This is excellent news!

Thanks for your focus on this.

RE: Re: State of the Strawberry [ In reply to ]
> From: perl5@tux.freedom.nl
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 15:49:46 +0200, Ovid wrote:
> > Our poor support for Perl on Windows is hurting us.
>
> So is the lack of a decent toolset to build GUIs Tk? Wx? Gtk? None work on all
> supported OS's and even then, some look different on a different WM or base OS.

If you'll see at Python practice for windows build, you'll see that it comes with "tk" AKA tkinter (No Wx and no Gtk)
So Python binaries are packaged with tcl/tk binaries as well.

The closest thing is the Tcl CPAN module, please let me know if that would be the selected approach
and I will do all my best to help with the related problems.

And thanks for reviving Strawberry,
indeed this will greatly improve the situation!

There is also the dedicated ML for the windows/strawberry?

Vadim
Re: State of the Strawberry [ In reply to ]
Thank you!

Is anyone doing the real work going to be at TPRC next week? I'd
love to be part of any BoF or a fly on the wall for any discussion.

I have an interest in making it as easy as possible to develop, distribute,
and deploy Perl based Win32 applications like any other ".exe" or
".msi" using wxPerl. We've had some early success in at least documenting
a process thanks to the help of a few folks.

Houston.pm hosted a talk in May on the topic that is no their YT channel,
it leaves us with more questions than answers but I think shows interest
and progress for mere mortals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOW8fMrpIS0

The build environment is also MSYS2 but we're looking to be able to break
out of that. Anyway, will be around TPRC next week if there are chances
to discuss.

Cheers,
Brett

* Chase Whitener <cwhitener@gmail.com> [2023-07-05 08:17:26 -0400]:

> As you all know, we've been trying to pick up and get Strawberry
> builds going for a while now. A new Strawberry version hasn't been
> officially released since Perl v5.32.
>
> Over the past year, a lot of progress has been made (mostly due to the
> efforts of Shawn Laffan).
>
> Thank you, Shawn!!
>
> We look to be near a point now where the build process is well
> understood and new builds are going a bit more smoothly.
>
> To that end, Shawn has cut a dev release of Strawberry Perl v5.38:
> https://github.com/StrawberryPerl/Perl-Dist-Strawberry/releases/tag/dev_5380_20230705_gcc13
>
> Please give it a test and put some issues on the GitHub repo if and
> when you find problems.
>
> Remaining issues with Strawberry:
> * Complete documentation process for the rest of the build (most is
> here: https://github.com/StrawberryPerl/spbuild)
> * Work out some licensing questions about IF we can still distribute
> DBD::Oracle as the client from Oracle has a license that seems suspect
> * Gain access to the strawberryperl.com server
> * Fix the site to no longer have outdated information
> * Fix the hashes for each of the downloads
> * Publish the latest releases to the site.
>
> If you can help with any of those tasks, we'd love to have your
> assistance! The easiest ways to communicate with us:
> * talk with us on irc.perl.org #win32
> * start tickets on the strawberry repos
> * send me an email
>
> -- Chase

oodler@cpan.org
oodler577@sdf-eu.org
SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System - http://sdfeu.org
irc.perl.org #openmp #pdl #native
Re: State of the Strawberry [ In reply to ]
I'm super excited about this. Thanks for getting Strawberry back on
track. I used the .msi installer and it went pretty smooth.

1. It defaults to c:\strawberry but maybe it should go to
c:\strawberryperl instead?
2. Can we add an option to add the install dir to PATH?
3. The .msi is unsigned, is it possible to get an organization signing
cert so it looks a little more official?
4. Trying to install Date::Parse::Modern I get an error: You probably
need to have 'make' (I thought we included a build system?)

Is the plan to publish the missing versions as well? v5.34, v5.36, and
v5.38?

Good release! Thanks for the hard work.

- scottchiefbaker

Re: State of the Strawberry [ In reply to ]
On 2023-07-08 10:41 a.m., Scott Baker wrote:
> Is the plan to publish the missing versions as well? v5.34, v5.36, and v5.38?

Is there any value to publish the in between versions? Since they would all be
"new" I would imagine that anyone looking to adopt a newer Strawberry Perl than
the last one already out would just go for the latest. The intermediate ones
wouldn't be any more mature on the platform or have existing users. -- Darren Duncan
Re: State of the Strawberry [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 14:25:15 -0700
Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net> wrote:

> Is there any value to publish the in between versions? Since they
> would all be "new" I would imagine that anyone looking to adopt a
> newer Strawberry Perl than the last one already out would just go for
> the latest. The intermediate ones wouldn't be any more mature on the
> platform or have existing users. -- Darren Duncan

Since 5.38.0 is so new (i.e. a few days), it may be prudent for people
updating an older Perl and wish to remain on a tried-and-tested version
might want to go with 5.36.1 for now. So at least maybe 5.36 ought to
be around as well.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/ | https://www.tindie.com/stores/leonerd/
Re: State of the Strawberry [ In reply to ]
Just for "completeness" and to assuage my OCD

Re: State of the Strawberry [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 05 Jul 2023 14:17:26 +0200, Chase Whitener <cwhitener@gmail.com> wrote:

> To that end, Shawn has cut a dev release of Strawberry Perl v5.38:
> https://github.com/StrawberryPerl/Perl-Dist-Strawberry/releases/tag/dev_5380_20230705_gcc13
>
> Remaining issues with Strawberry:
> [...]
> * Gain access to the strawberryperl.com server
> * Fix the site to no longer have outdated information
> * Fix the hashes for each of the downloads
> * Publish the latest releases to the site.
> [...]

here's what i know and can find in my emails and logs about the website:

i feel like the last time that was asked, kmx held it

kmx@volny.cz and kmx@atlas.cz are the last emails i have on record for him. he also had a twitter account but deleted it

this email claims adam kennedy is in charge of that domain: https://www.mail-archive.com/win32-vanilla@perl.org/msg00585.html

i've CC'd adam in case he's willing to enlighten us with whatever knowledge he may hold on this :)

--
With regards,
Christian Walde
Re: State of the Strawberry [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:59:47 +0200, Christian Walde <walde.christian@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Jul 2023 14:17:26 +0200, Chase Whitener <cwhitener@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To that end, Shawn has cut a dev release of Strawberry Perl v5.38:
>> https://github.com/StrawberryPerl/Perl-Dist-Strawberry/releases/tag/dev_5380_20230705_gcc13
>>
>> Remaining issues with Strawberry:
>> [...]
>> * Gain access to the strawberryperl.com server
>> * Fix the site to no longer have outdated information
>> * Fix the hashes for each of the downloads
>> * Publish the latest releases to the site.
>> [...]
>
> here's what i know and can find in my emails and logs about the website:
>
> i feel like the last time that was asked, kmx held it
>
> kmx@volny.cz and kmx@atlas.cz are the last emails i have on record for him. he also had a twitter account but deleted it
>
> this email claims adam kennedy is in charge of that domain: https://www.mail-archive.com/win32-vanilla@perl.org/msg00585.html
>
> i've CC'd adam in case he's willing to enlighten us with whatever knowledge he may hold on this :)

progress on research into the matter of the domain is also tracked in this ticket:

https://github.com/StrawberryPerl/Perl-Dist-Strawberry/issues/114

--
With regards,
Christian Walde