If there are no updates to be made to blead, I will release RC1 this week, preferably early. Please test, check on silly mistakes I may have made in perldelta or perlhist, and let us know.

--
rjbs
Re: blead is now RC0, we are in final freeze… [ In reply to ]
On 03.06.23 23:21, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> If there are no updates to be made to blead, I will release RC1 this
> week, preferably early.  Please test, check on silly mistakes I may have
> made in perldelta or perlhist, and let us know.

perldelta says "=head2 Defined-or and logical-or assignment default
expressions to signatures". Shouldn't it be "in signatures"?
Re: blead is now RC0, we are in final freeze… [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 3 Jun 2023 at 23:22, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> Porters,
>
> blead is now v5.38.0-RC0. In theory we may be adding an update to HTTP::Tiny before release, but we're also in a bit of a race right now, as we need a release of perl to get things (like me) unwedged.
>
> If there are no updates to be made to blead, I will release RC1 this week, preferably early. Please test, check on silly mistakes I may have made in perldelta or perlhist, and let us know.

Sorry i didnt notice earlier, I believe you have made some mistakes
that need to be corrected.

In 63e72d0 you dropped a new error message. The error message is not
missing, it was changed a bit. See
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/blob/blead/pp_ctl.c#L4509

croak("Can't locate object method \"INC\", nor"
" \"INCDIR\" nor string overload via"
" package %" HvNAMEf_QUOTEDPREFIX " %s"
" in @INC", pkg,
dirsv == loader
? "in object hook"
: "in object in ARRAY hook"
);

Before we had the capability to detect string overloads this said the
message you found missing. My guess is that when I improved the error
message I forgot to craft a new perldelta.

In 454866b63e4a3335ad95d24a074c38dea52fd294 you commit a change that
adds an autogenerated comment that deprecated::smartmatch was added in
5.038, where it used to say 5.03701. The 5.038 is wrong, obviously
deprecated::smartmatch was added in the course of the 5.037xxx
sequence. The source data in warnings.pl was changed incorrectly. See:

https://github.com/Perl/perl5/blob/blead/regen/warnings.pl#L85

The change was made in

https://github.com/Perl/perl5/commit/7c14795f25454c93e7474b5a5be37a6208e792cb

by you, and incorrectly changed this to say 5.038, when it should say
5.037xxx for some xxx.

That entry should show the correct release that smartmatch was
deprecated, it cannot be 5.038, as 5.038 has not been released yet.
We should autodetect this and warn about it in the regen script
itself.

cheers,
Yves

Re: blead is now RC0, we are in final freeze… [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 at 11:41, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jun 2023 at 23:22, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
> >
> > Porters,
> >
> > blead is now v5.38.0-RC0. In theory we may be adding an update to HTTP::Tiny before release, but we're also in a bit of a race right now, as we need a release of perl to get things (like me) unwedged.
> >
> > If there are no updates to be made to blead, I will release RC1 this week, preferably early. Please test, check on silly mistakes I may have made in perldelta or perlhist, and let us know.
>
> Sorry i didnt notice earlier, I believe you have made some mistakes
> that need to be corrected.
>
> In 63e72d0 you dropped a new error message. The error message is not
> missing, it was changed a bit. See
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/blob/blead/pp_ctl.c#L4509
>
> croak("Can't locate object method \"INC\", nor"
> " \"INCDIR\" nor string overload via"
> " package %" HvNAMEf_QUOTEDPREFIX " %s"
> " in @INC", pkg,
> dirsv == loader
> ? "in object hook"
> : "in object in ARRAY hook"
> );
>
> Before we had the capability to detect string overloads this said the
> message you found missing. My guess is that when I improved the error
> message I forgot to craft a new perldelta.
>
> In 454866b63e4a3335ad95d24a074c38dea52fd294 you commit a change that
> adds an autogenerated comment that deprecated::smartmatch was added in
> 5.038, where it used to say 5.03701. The 5.038 is wrong, obviously
> deprecated::smartmatch was added in the course of the 5.037xxx
> sequence. The source data in warnings.pl was changed incorrectly. See:
>
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/blob/blead/regen/warnings.pl#L85
>
> The change was made in
>
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/commit/7c14795f25454c93e7474b5a5be37a6208e792cb
>
> by you, and incorrectly changed this to say 5.038, when it should say
> 5.037xxx for some xxx.
>
> That entry should show the correct release that smartmatch was
> deprecated, it cannot be 5.038, as 5.038 has not been released yet.
> We should autodetect this and warn about it in the regen script
> itself.

BTW, Normally I'd provide a patch, but unfortunately my dev laptop
died yesterday and I dont have anywhere to write the required patches.

Yves

Re: blead is now RC0, we are in final freeze… [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 4, 2023, at 03:32, Lukas Mai wrote:
> On 03.06.23 23:21, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> > If there are no updates to be made to blead, I will release RC1 this
> > week, preferably early. Please test, check on silly mistakes I may have
> > made in perldelta or perlhist, and let us know.
>
> perldelta says "=head2 Defined-or and logical-or assignment default
> expressions to signatures". Shouldn't it be "in signatures"?

Thanks, fixed.

--
rjbs
Re: blead is now RC0, we are in final freeze… [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 4, 2023, at 05:41, demerphq wrote:
> In 63e72d0 you dropped a new error message. The error message is not
> missing, it was changed a bit. See
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/blob/blead/pp_ctl.c#L4509

Thanks, sorted out.

> In 454866b63e4a3335ad95d24a074c38dea52fd294 you commit a change that
> adds an autogenerated comment that deprecated::smartmatch was added in
> 5.038, where it used to say 5.03701. The 5.038 is wrong, obviously
> deprecated::smartmatch was added in the course of the 5.037xxx
> sequence. The source data in warnings.pl was changed incorrectly. See:

Thanks, sorted out., I think.

--
rjbs