Meantime: Blockers?

--
rjbs
Re: perl v5.38.0 is coming [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 7, 2023, at 14:06, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> Meantime: Blockers?

It had either slipped my mind or never quite entered it that BBC issues are now mostly found *not* on this list, but in GitHub.

There are three pages of them at the moment: https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ABBC

Those will want a review, too, and I'll get to lookin' soon.

--
rjbs
Re: perl v5.38.0 is coming [ In reply to ]
On 4/8/23 10:40, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2023, at 14:06, Ricardo Signes wrote:
>> Meantime:  Blockers?
>
> It had either slipped my mind or never quite entered it that BBC issues
> are now mostly found /not/ on this list, but in GitHub.
>
> There are three pages of them at the moment:
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ABBC
> <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ABBC>
>
> Those will want a review, too, and I'll get to lookin' soon.

Some of those are from the 5.35 dev cycle. I was looking yesterday but
unfortunately couldn't find any way to *accurately* say, "Give me BBC
tickets that are still open and were opened after 2023-05-26." (The
results using '+opened:>YYYY-MM-DD' were visibly incorrect.)

jimk
Re: perl v5.38.0 is coming [ In reply to ]
Am 08.04.23 um 18:19 schrieb James E Keenan:
> On 4/8/23 10:40, Ricardo Signes wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 7, 2023, at 14:06, Ricardo Signes wrote:
>>> Meantime:  Blockers?
>>
>> It had either slipped my mind or never quite entered it that BBC
>> issues are now mostly found /not/ on this list, but in GitHub.
>>
>> There are three pages of them at the moment:
>> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ABBC
>> <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ABBC>
>>

>> Those will want a review, too, and I'll get to lookin' soon.
>>

> Some of those are from the 5.35 dev cycle.  I was looking yesterday
> but unfortunately couldn't find any way to *accurately* say, "Give me
> BBC tickets that are still open and were opened after 2023-05-26."
> (The results using '+opened:>YYYY-MM-DD' were visibly incorrect.)
>
> jimk

Try
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ABBC+created%3A2022-05-26..2023-05-31
. That seems to be what you want...

- Renée
Re: perl v5.38.0 is coming [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 1:06?PM Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
> We generally pretend that the May monthly release of Perl will be the new stable release.
. . .
> Meantime: Blockers?

The following two PRs prevent two sources of blead build failure on
VMS and the second one is probably also needed for nmake builds on
Windows, though I haven't had a chance to verify that:

https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/21007

https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/21008

I have not merged these myself since I assume we are pretty deeply
frozen at this point and I could not find the current rules indicating
how and by whom commits get done during code freeze. If someone
sounding authoritative tells me what to do I'll do it :-).
Re: perl v5.38.0 is coming [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 12:00?PM Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The following two PRs prevent two sources of blead build failure on
> VMS and the second one is probably also needed for nmake builds on
> Windows, though I haven't had a chance to verify that:
>
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/21007
>
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/21008

I don't think nmake is affected by the second.
For the last 10 months, I've regularly been building perl devel releases
as they've become available (up to and including 5.37.10) using MSVC-143
(VS 2022) and nmake, without issue.
I do both 32-bit and 64-bit builds.

So, unless I've somehow evaded the troublesome perl source, I would say
that nmake handles things just fine as it stands.

Cheers,
Rob
Re: perl v5.38.0 is coming [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 9, 2023 at 9:29?PM sisyphus <sisyphus359@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 12:00?PM Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> The following two PRs prevent two sources of blead build failure on
>> VMS and the second one is probably also needed for nmake builds on
>> Windows, though I haven't had a chance to verify that:
>>
>> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/21007
>>
>> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/21008
>>

> I don't think nmake is affected by the second.
> For the last 10 months, I've regularly been building perl devel releases as they've become available (up to and including 5.37.10) using MSVC-143 (VS 2022) and nmake, without issue.
> I do both 32-bit and 64-bit builds.
>
> So, unless I've somehow evaded the troublesome perl source, I would say that nmake handles things just fine as it stands.

Good to know. I thought I saw comments somewhere indicating that
.PHONY is not supported by nmake, but maybe it is or gets suppressed
some other way.
Re: perl v5.38.0 is coming [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 12:28:57PM +1000, sisyphus wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 12:00?PM Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > The following two PRs prevent two sources of blead build failure on
> > VMS and the second one is probably also needed for nmake builds on
> > Windows, though I haven't had a chance to verify that:
> >
> > https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/21007
> >
> > https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/21008
> >

> I don't think nmake is affected by the second.
> For the last 10 months, I've regularly been building perl devel releases
> as they've become available (up to and including 5.37.10) using MSVC-143
> (VS 2022) and nmake, without issue.
> I do both 32-bit and 64-bit builds.
>
> So, unless I've somehow evaded the troublesome perl source, I would say
> that nmake handles things just fine as it stands.

nmake appears to just treat the .PHONY directive as a target, ie. you
can do C<nmake .PHONY> to build everything listed after the ".PHONY:".

Tony