Mailing List Archive

Markdown in emailed bug reports
Dan Book wrote:
>FYI whatever mechanism you are using to send this email is rendering it
>unusable for me. I receive only an attachment with no file extension that
>Gmail cannot preview.

Thanks, that's useful information. That'll be related to what we
discussed a few weeks ago on the "perlbug UX" thread about bug reports
being written in Markdown. I've written recent bug reports in Markdown,
three of them so far, and aside from being perfectly serious bug reports,
they've also been test cases for the toolchain of handling bug reports in
this format. I was expecting to have a conversation about this two weeks
ago, as a result of the "non-grapheme delimiters not properly prohibited"
bug report, but that one seems to have been ignored.

I've been imitating what would happen if perlbug had asked for the
user-edited part of the bug report to be written in Markdown, and had
added MIME headers saying that the report is Markdown. The relevant
header that I've been adding is:

Presumably Gmail doesn't know how to handle that media type.

On my end, I'm comfortable with the authoring process. I write each bug
report initially in plain text, then apply a small program that I wrote
that converts plain text into the basic kinds of markup in Markdown.
I'm not totally confident about the correctness of the markup that
it generates, because it's based purely on GitHub's documentation,
without testing. (I have no ability that I'm aware of to put test
content through GitHub's renderer.) But "refaliasing breaks refcounting
of field variable" got put into GitHub in a form that looks correct,
so that's encouraging.

Further comments welcome about the handling of this form of bug report
from reception of the email onwards.

-zefram
Re: Markdown in emailed bug reports [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 18:17:07 +0000
Zefram via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> But "refaliasing breaks refcounting
> of field variable" got put into GitHub in a form that looks correct,
> so that's encouraging.

That's because I copied it *totally* manually by copy-pasting out of my
(non-gmail) local email client into github, and fixed up all the
\,-style escaping in the plaintext part while I was there.

It is not a sustainable process that I have any interest in continuing
for the long-term.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/ | https://www.tindie.com/stores/leonerd/
Re: Markdown in emailed bug reports [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023, Zefram via perl5-porters wrote:

> Dan Book wrote:
>> FYI whatever mechanism you are using to send this email is rendering it
>> unusable for me. I receive only an attachment with no file extension that
>> Gmail cannot preview.
>
> Thanks, that's useful information. ...
> Further comments welcome about the handling of this form of bug report
> from reception of the email onwards.

FWIW I still use Pine, and I had no problem with your original mail.

Not even with the timestamp. :)

--

73,
Ged.
Re: Markdown in emailed bug reports [ In reply to ]
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
>That's because I copied it *totally* manually by copy-pasting out of my
>(non-gmail) local email client into github, and fixed up all the
>\,-style escaping in the plaintext part while I was there.

Oh dear. That was not a plain text document (in the sense of text/plain),
all the "\," stuff is Markdown markup. Providing the bug report as
a Markdown document was meant to be a convenience for GitHub users.
This is not going anything like as smoothly as intended.

>It is not a sustainable process that I have any interest in continuing
>for the long-term.

You certainly shouldn't be needing to manually edit in the kind of
way you're describing. Can you suggest a better form for bug reports
in email? I'm willing to author bug reports either as plain text or as
Markdown, and the email headers are negotiable. We ought to be able
to come up with something that's reasonably convenient on your end.
(Unless you find the whole concept of bug reports in email unacceptably
inconvenient.)

Btw, a couple of people have said something about my message appearing
as an attachment. In the form in which it went through p5p, there
is no attachment in the sense of a multipart MIME message. It was a
single-part message, the top-level body being of text/markdown type.

-zefram