* *make postderef_qq default-on:* we have a plan, no code yet
* *rationalizing use vX-with-no-strict: *we have a plan, no code yet
* *foreach (VARS) (LIST):* implemented, waiting to merge?
* *deprecate defined/exists on array elements:* contentious
With a few of the above, the ship we're in is "we seem to have agreed to do something, but no one has stepped forward to say they'd do it. While the "we have a plan and no code" items are things I am personally in favor of, you may recall that I basically don't write C code, and so you can't count on me, here.

Who, if anybody, would like to take on any of these?

--
rjbs
Re: state of perl5 + PSC actions [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 16:11:26 -0400
"Ricardo Signes" <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> I wanted to provide a run-through of where I think we're at right now
> with a number of things that have been proposed or discussed. The
> contentious change freeze is set for January 1, 2021.

In addition to that, a couple of things on my personal plate:

* Now that `defer {}` is available I want to extend try/catch to
permit try/catch/finally, using basically the same mechanism that
defer uses. I don't imagine that'll be contentious though

* What is almost certain to at least raise some eyebrows, would be my
PL_infix_plugin branch, which allows XS::Parse::Infix to work, and
by extension the growing collection of "interesting infix operators"
I have as CPAN experiments. Namely,

https://metacpan.org/pod/Syntax::Operator::Equ
https://metacpan.org/pod/Syntax::Operator::Zip
https://metacpan.org/pod/Syntax::Operator::Divides

and also a Syntax::Operator::In which is so far /so/ experimental
I apparently haven't even put it on CPAN yet.. I thought I had.
Hrm..

I don't quite have anything ready for review to think about merging
to core *yet* though, because I don't think it's had enough features
or battle-testing to justify suggesting that yet.

If we're saying Jan 1st is the contentious freeze, I may have to
step up the pace on that a bit and see where I can get things to by
then...

> Who, if anybody, would like to take on any of these?

I could probably take a look at at least some of them *if nobody else
does*, but I have plenty of other interesting things on my plate just
at the moment that I'd prefer someone (anyone? (be careful what you
wish for) ) else to do them.

Happy to provide some hand-holding on them if someone wants to
volunteer themselves though.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/ | https://www.tindie.com/stores/leonerd/
Re: state of perl5 + PSC actions [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 3, 2021, at 16:12, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org
> use v5.36 means ASCII only: seems generally accepted, no code yet
I’d be interested in taking a stab at this, but could anyone possibly “bootstrap” the effort with pointers on where the relevant controls are?

I’ve got several irons in the real-world fire at present, but this is something I’d quite like to see happen.

-FG
Re: state of perl5 + PSC actions [ In reply to ]
I see no mention of the changes for formally marking scalars as logical
booleans, so does that mean its merged and done and a sure thing? -- Darren Duncan

Re: state of perl5 + PSC actions [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 9:42 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
> I see no mention of the changes for formally marking scalars as logical
> booleans, so does that mean its merged and done and a sure thing? -- Darren Duncan

My email should not be taken to imply anything about that. It just wasn't on my list of things I'm keeping an eye on especially.

--
rjbs
Re: state of perl5 + PSC actions [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 18:42:58 -0700
Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net> wrote:

> I see no mention of the changes for formally marking scalars as
> logical booleans, so does that mean its merged and done and a sure
> thing? -- Darren Duncan

That change itself is merged.

Still something of an outstanding question how to expose it to
pureperl, whether that's by way of the Scalar::Util::isbool() function,
or adding something new to the new std/functions/builtins space, and
how it might play with the wider ideas of better intention tracking of
numbers-vs-strings... Also maybe thoughts of new `true` and `false`
keywords.

All those parts are still to do.