Mailing List Archive

Unfreezing blead and the 7.0.0 Git branch
Hi everyone,

We need to start clearing off the branches and Pull Requests. We have
changes coming in for what will eventually be 7.0.0, but we also want
to continue developing new features that will land in 7.2.0.

To do this, we discussed how to clean up the branches to allow all of
this to happen. We are in a unique situation, so we will take a bit of
liberty to make this work.

Changes:
* I just created the "release-7.0.0" branch from "v5.32.0" git tag.
The "release" branch usually is not pushed, but in this case, we want
to cooperate on the changes done in it.
* Blead is now open for 7.1.x changes, effectively unfreezing it entirely.

The order of actions we intend to take:
* blead will start with bumping to 7.0.0. This bump change will then
be cherry-picked into "release-7.0.0" branch.
* blead will bump from 7.0.0 to 7.1.0. blead will then continue with
any 7.1.x changes.
* "release-7.0" will include the rest of the 7.0.0 changes.
* When 7.0 is ready and released, it will have the usual step of
creating the maint branch for it and merging that back into blead, as
we usually do.

There are essentially only two differences from a standard release:
1. We will be pushing "release-7.0.0" which is usually only created
during the release, never pushed, and then removed.
2. We will do the initial bump in blead and cherry-pick that into
"release-7.0.0"

Otherwise, this seems to follow the same path as our regular release branches.

Stay safe,
Sawyer.