I just take my Aho, Weinberger and Kernighan book in hand and dive in?
(don't worry kid, ducks [almost] always know how to float)

Dan
Re: Perl version of a2p [ In reply to ]
> Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu> wrote:
>
> 2. Look for a version of byacc that generates perl code
> and then use that on a2p.y to get a start.

Ok. Who can point me towards a byacc that generates perl? Does anyone know
if this is one:

Host cicada.net.ohio-state.edu (128.146.199.101)
Last updated 10:29 20 Oct 1995

Location: /pub/languages/perl/CPAN/src
DIRECTORY drwxr-xr-x 512 bytes 03:09 24 Sep 1995 byacc

> 3. Look at the mawk source code -- read the Copyright license to see
> if it's fair to include it's version of the grammar (assuming it has one
> -- I've never looked) in perl. Larry won't include something that's pure
> GPL, but has included things like SDBM_File/sdbm, which have more
> generous copying agreements.

Unfortunately, mawk states:

Mawk is distributed without warranty under the terms of the
GNU General Public License, version 2, June 1991. The file
COPYING contains the GNU General Public License, version 2.

Dan
Re: Perl version of a2p [ In reply to ]
> From: Dan Wisehart <danw@ttmc.com>
>
> > Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu> wrote:
> >
> > 3. Look at the mawk source code -- read the Copyright license to see
> > if it's fair to include it's version of the grammar (assuming it has one
> > -- I've never looked) in perl. Larry won't include something that's pure
> > GPL, but has included things like SDBM_File/sdbm, which have more
> > generous copying agreements.
>
> Unfortunately, mawk states:
>
> Mawk is distributed without warranty under the terms of the
> GNU General Public License, version 2, June 1991. The file
> COPYING contains the GNU General Public License, version 2.

Try mailing a gentle letter to the developers with a copy of
the Artistic licence.

Ke Jin very kindly made iODBC available under the Artistic licence
after I wrote to him.

Worth a go.

It's something for others to bare in mind when looking
at GPL code and wishing it could be used in perl.

Tim.