Does anyone know if someone is working on integrating Don's PTY code into
the Ptty package?

Jeff
Re: HP-UX PTY/shell/stty hang? [ In reply to ]
> From okamoto@hpcc123.corp.hp.com Mon Oct 30 14:04:07 1995
> From: Jeff Okamoto <okamoto@hpcc123.corp.hp.com>
> Subject: Re: HP-UX PTY/shell/stty hang?
> To: Eric.Arnold@Corp
> Cc: perl5-porters@nicoh.com
>
> Based on a complaint that the Ptty package doesn't work on HP-UX, I've just
> retrieved the Ptty package from a CPAN archive and also version 5.6.3 of
> expect, which contains PTY code that definitely *does* work on HP-UX.
>
> I notice that the two pieces of code are quite different, and that the Ptty
> XS code has none of the special HP-UX PTY code that was given to Don.
>
> Does anyone know if someone is working on integrating Don's PTY code into
> the Ptty package?

Well, I guess that might be me. I'm using a pretty simple model: just
call "exp_spawnv()" from a .xs module. I mail the source to you if you want.
If it turns out to work nicely with the newer version of Expect (I didn't
find 5.6.3), then I was planning on talking to Nick about how to integrate
with Ptty.

-Eric
Re: HP-UX PTY/shell/stty hang? [ In reply to ]
In <199510302203.AA209640632@hpcc123.corp.hp.com>
On Mon, 30 Oct 95 14:03:51 PST
Jeff Okamoto <okamoto@hpcc123.corp.hp.com> writes:
>Based on a complaint that the Ptty package doesn't work on HP-UX, I've just
>retrieved the Ptty package from a CPAN archive and also version 5.6.3 of
>expect, which contains PTY code that definitely *does* work on HP-UX.
>
>I notice that the two pieces of code are quite different, and that the Ptty
>XS code has none of the special HP-UX PTY code that was given to Don.
>
>Does anyone know if someone is working on integrating Don's PTY code into
>the Ptty package?

I don't think so - Can you do it - neither Eric nor I are HP experts.
Would it make sense to shift to 'expect' as basis?
Re: HP-UX PTY/shell/stty hang? [ In reply to ]
> I don't think so - Can you do it - neither Eric nor I are HP experts.
> Would it make sense to shift to 'expect' as basis?

I would certainly be in favor of using Don's expect code as the basis of
any pty stuff. Since he had to make expect work on all different kinds of
Unix, why should we re-invent the wheel. Even better, since Don works for
the government, expect is mostly within the public domain except for the
Tcl core and the regexp engine (check out page 15 of Don's book).

Jeff