Mailing List Archive

built-in globbing (was: Ken's SimpleFileHandle )
>That's simply a bug. I've installed a bug report.

Which reminds me that the tcsh globbing should be non-GPL.
Has anyone looked into snarfing it so we don't have shell
dependencies anymore?

--tom
Re: built-in globbing (was: Ken's SimpleFileHandle ) [ In reply to ]
At 12:52 26/10/95 MDT, Tom Christiansen wrote:
>>That's simply a bug. I've installed a bug report.
>
>Which reminds me that the tcsh globbing should be non-GPL.
>Has anyone looked into snarfing it so we don't have shell
>dependencies anymore?

Berkeley ftp has globbing, and is unencumbered. Is there some reason why that is deficient?
Re: built-in globbing (was: Ken's SimpleFileHandle ) [ In reply to ]
>At 12:52 26/10/95 MDT, Tom Christiansen wrote:
>>>That's simply a bug. I've installed a bug report.
>>
>>Which reminds me that the tcsh globbing should be non-GPL.
>>Has anyone looked into snarfing it so we don't have shell
>>dependencies anymore?
>>

>Berkeley ftp has globbing, and is unencumbered. Is there some reason why<SNIP>

hm... does it ~glob?

-tom
Re: built-in globbing [ In reply to ]
Excerpts from the mail message of Tom Christiansen:
)
) Which reminds me that the tcsh globbing should be non-GPL.
) Has anyone looked into snarfing it so we don't have shell
) dependencies anymore?

zsh may also be that way and it has globbing that is much more fun.

I (and others) would prefer that the globbing be done in Perl code.
--
Tye McQueen tye@metronet.com || tye@doober.usu.edu
Nothing is obvious unless you are overlooking something
Re: built-in globbing (was: Ken's SimpleFileHandle ) [ In reply to ]
Which reminds me that the tcsh globbing should be non-GPL.
Has anyone looked into snarfing it so we don't have shell
dependencies anymore?

tcsh/csh both come with ucb-style licensing. there's also the globbing
in the es/rc/zsh shells -- anyone know the licensing on those ?
Re: built-in globbing (was: Ken's SimpleFileHandle ) [ In reply to ]
> Which reminds me that the tcsh globbing should be non-GPL.
> Has anyone looked into snarfing it so we don't have shell
> dependencies anymore?

> tcsh/csh both come with ucb-style licensing. there's also the globbing
> in the es/rc/zsh shells -- anyone know the licensing on those ?

Nearly all source files in the zsh contain this paragraph:

# Copyright (c) 1995 Richard Coleman
# All rights reserved.
#
# Permission is hereby granted, without written agreement and without
# license or royalty fees, to use, copy, modify, and distribute this
# software and its documentation for any purpose, provided that the
# above copyright notice and the following two paragraphs appear in
# all copies of this software.
#

A few single files are GNU copylefted, and there is no overall
copyright notice for the zsh as it stands. That may be why Richard
doesn't see any problem to include ansi2knr.c and configure. But I'm
no lawyer.

andreas
Re: built-in globbing (was: Ken's SimpleFileHandle ) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 30 Oct 1995, matthew green wrote:

> Which reminds me that the tcsh globbing should be non-GPL.
> Has anyone looked into snarfing it so we don't have shell
> dependencies anymore?
>
> tcsh/csh both come with ucb-style licensing. there's also the globbing
> in the es/rc/zsh shells -- anyone know the licensing on those ?

As an aside, I believe, to the best of my knowledge, zsh's globbing is the
most advanced of any of these. It might therefor be a good place to start.
(If Perl's regexps are the best around, why shouldn't the globbing be the
same?)