Mailing List Archive

Re: [Q] Perl 5/DBZ files(History)
We still need good docs. I think a FMTEYEWTK about Ties is in order, perhaps
as perltie(1). We also need better Tie:: base classes, including
for scalars and arrays not just hashes. Any volunteers?

--tom

In article <DGL96D.9G0@ig.co.uk> you write:
:In article <45usq6$3hj@earth.superlink.net>,
:Scott J. Ellentuch <tuc@mars.superlink.net> wrote:
:> We have a perl program that we would like to scan the history file, and
:> at the last record make a note of it. Then, on the next invocation,
:> quickly jump to that point and continue (This is the "history" file from
:> INN). We could just go down entry by entry, but the file is over 52M and
:> I don't see the justice in doing it.
:>
:> Has anyone ever used perl to read DBZ files as keyed files?
:
:Checked the Module List?
:
:Tied Hash File Interfaces:
:
:NDBM_File Suc Tie to NDBM files
:DB_File Suc Tie to DB files PMQS
:GDBM_File Suc Tie to GDBM files
:SDBM_File Suc Tie to SDBM files
:ODBM_File Suc Tie to ODBM files
:AnyDBM_File Sup Uses first available *_File module above
:DBZ_File adc Tie to dbz files (mainly for news history) IANPX
:
: IANPX Ian Phillipps <ian@pipex.net>
:
:Tim.
Re: [Q] Perl 5/DBZ files(History) [ In reply to ]
> From: Tom Christiansen <tchrist@mox.perl.com>
>
> We still need good docs. I think a FMTEYEWTK about Ties is in order, perhaps
> as perltie(1). We also need better Tie:: base classes, including
> for scalars and arrays not just hashes. Any volunteers?

perltie(1) seems like a good idea.

I'd really like to see TieHash renamed to Tie::Hash before a raft
of Tie::Scalar, Tie::Array, Tie::Stream :-) etc arrive.

Sadly I've zero time to write stuff.

Tim.