Chip Salzenberg, aka <chs@nando.net>
"Hey, it's the Miss Alternate Universe Pageant!"
-- Crow T. Robot, MST3K: "Stranded In Space"
Re: Rename File* to File::*? [ In reply to ]
> From: Chip Salzenberg <chs@nando.net>
>
> I'm open to renaming FileHandle to File::Handle, etc. Is there any
> objection? If not, I'll post modified patches to this list.

I object.

If you want to rename it, call it Io::Handle.

Tim.
Re: Rename File* to File::*? [ In reply to ]
According to Tim Bunce:
> From: Chip Salzenberg <chs@nando.net>
> > I'm open to renaming FileHandle to File::Handle, etc. Is there any
> > objection? If not, I'll post modified patches to this list.
>
> I object.

Well, now that I think about it, there's another issue. FileHandle is
one of the few package names hard-coded into the Perl executable.
It's probably not a good idea to rename it now, except for overriding
technical reasons. (Or if Larry says so. :-))
Re: Rename File* to File::*? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> According to Tim Bunce:
> > From: Chip Salzenberg <chs@nando.net>
> > > I'm open to renaming FileHandle to File::Handle, etc. Is there any
> > > objection? If not, I'll post modified patches to this list.
> >
> > I object.
>
> Well, now that I think about it, there's another issue. FileHandle is
> one of the few package names hard-coded into the Perl executable.
> It's probably not a good idea to rename it now, except for overriding
> technical reasons. (Or if Larry says so. :-))

Right. Anyhow, File::Handle doesn't look much better.

Perhaps File (no ::Handle) could be a child of FileHandle?

Re: Rename File* to File::*? [ In reply to ]
> From: Kenneth Albanowski <kjahds@kjahds.com>
>
> On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
>
> > According to Tim Bunce:
> > > From: Chip Salzenberg <chs@nando.net>
> > >
> > > I object.

I suggested Io or Io::Handle instead.

> > Well, now that I think about it, there's another issue. FileHandle is
> > one of the few package names hard-coded into the Perl executable.
> > It's probably not a good idea to rename it now, except for overriding
> > technical reasons. (Or if Larry says so. :-))
>
> Right. Anyhow, File::Handle doesn't look much better.
>
> Perhaps File (no ::Handle) could be a child of FileHandle?

So your model says a

File IS-A FileHandle ?

Doesn't seem right to me. I see it more as a

File HAS-A FileHandle (and a name etc)

Tim.