Chip Salzenberg, aka <chs@nando.net>
"Hey, it's the Miss Alternate Universe Pageant!"
-- Crow T. Robot, MST3K: "Stranded In Space"
Re: What about Symbol.pm, FileHandle.pm, and POSIX.pm? [ In reply to ]
Excerpts from the mail message of Chip Salzenberg:
)
) A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away -- or at least a month or
) two ago -- I sent to p5p a set of fixes for POSIX and FileHandle to
) use anonymous globs, and a new Symbol package, too. But now I find
) that a lot of my work is being re-invented.

As I recall, a decent patch for FileHandle came in and the list
added a few comments and a promise for a patch incorporating the
comments was made. Later other patches came in that were similar
that I mostly ignored because I was waiting for the one that
included my and others' previous suggestions. I did comment on
at least one of the later patches to this effect.

Sorry, Chip, I don't remember at the moment whether you submitted
the initial, good patch or one of the following ones (I think you
submitted the first one). I have to run right now but I'll dig
through old E-mail to see if I still have some of this lying about.
I apologize if I've misremembered.
--
Tye McQueen tye@metronet.com || tye@doober.usu.edu
Nothing is obvious unless you are overlooking something
Re: What about Symbol.pm, FileHandle.pm, and POSIX.pm? [ In reply to ]
: A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away -- or at least a month or
: two ago -- I sent to p5p a set of fixes for POSIX and FileHandle to
: use anonymous globs, and a new Symbol package, too. But now I find
: that a lot of my work is being re-invented.
:
: What's the deal? Was the FileHandle I did missing something? Did it
: get ignored because of all the concommitant noise about making
: anonymous globs work at all? Did my mail fall into a black hole? Do
: I like asking rhetorical questions? (Um, scratch that last. :-))

I think you've just been too shy and/or busy to publicize it sufficiently.

: Feedback appreciated.

I've been intending to put Symbol into 5.002, though I did recall that
I wanted to make sure it generated new symbols each time. My current
POSIX::gensym says this

sub gensym {
my $pkg = @_ ? ref($_[0]) || $_[0] : "";
local *{$pkg . "::GLOB" . ++$seq};
\delete ${$pkg . "::"}{'GLOB' . $seq};
}

Larry
Re: What about Symbol.pm, FileHandle.pm, and POSIX.pm? [ In reply to ]
Quoting Larry Wall:
:I've been intending to put Symbol into 5.002, though I did recall that
:I wanted to make sure it generated new symbols each time. My current
:POSIX::gensym says this
:
: sub gensym {
: my $pkg = @_ ? ref($_[0]) || $_[0] : "";
: local *{$pkg . "::GLOB" . ++$seq};
: \delete ${$pkg . "::"}{'GLOB' . $seq};
: }

I wonder why there isn't such things as anonymous scalars. Oh yes, syntax! ;-)

Raphael

P.S: Congratulations for finding the nice 'ancestor' method calling trick.
You deserve your reputation, undoubtedly.
:-)

P.P.S: $scalar_ref = !!; # or ~~, or <<>> ??
Re: What about Symbol.pm, FileHandle.pm, and POSIX.pm? [ In reply to ]
According to Larry Wall:
> I've been intending to put Symbol into 5.002, though I did recall that
> I wanted to make sure it generated new symbols each time.

Please note that C<anonymous "GLOB"> makes Symbol obsolete.