Mailing List Archive

8bits woes
(And, with the mailing list handlin, I can't even use my own client :(

1/ Haven't found the previous bug-report about sort and qw behaviour with
8bits strings.

2/ Would it be possible for lc/uc/lcfirst/ucfirst to be 8-bits clean,
particularly, I'd really like to see
lc("\351l\350ve") to give "\311l\310ve".

3/ split (and regexp more generally) could also use some cleaning :

@a = split(/(\W)/,"\351l\350ves");

@a --> ( , \351, l, \350, ves)

kinda hard to use with an accentuated language like french (I know tchrist
will agree :)

If there's no volunteer, I can try for a simple patch, but I'm not
sure if we don't want perl to use LOCALE something like that...

Fred
The Crystal wind is the Storm
And the Storm is Data
And Data is Life

The PLayers Litany D. K. Moran
Re: 8bits woes [ In reply to ]
: (And, with the mailing list handlin, I can't even use my own client :(
:
: 1/ Haven't found the previous bug-report about sort and qw behaviour with
: 8bits strings.
:
: 2/ Would it be possible for lc/uc/lcfirst/ucfirst to be 8-bits clean,
: particularly, I'd really like to see
: lc("\351l\350ve") to give "\311l\310ve".
:
: 3/ split (and regexp more generally) could also use some cleaning :
:
: @a = split(/(\W)/,"\351l\350ves");
:
: @a --> ( , \351, l, \350, ves)
:
: kinda hard to use with an accentuated language like french (I know tchrist
: will agree :)

Those should all work if you've called POSIX::setlocale().

Larry
Re: 8bits woes [ In reply to ]

Larry> Those should all work if you've called POSIX::setlocale().

Even with Asian languages?? The obvious answer would be "if the OS
supports it...", but most don't (not properly anyway, and no, I am not
trying to start an i18n flame war).

For a number of years, I made heavy use of the Japanese language
version of perl4 which was freely available.

Larry, did you ever consider integrating this support?? While the
world waits for all the vendors to offer true, functional i18n, those
of us supporting multilingual environments in the real world have had
to solve real problems with imperfect solutions like jperl.

W. Phillip Moore Phone: (212)-762-2433
Information Technology Department FAX: (212)-762-1009
Morgan Stanley and Co. E-mail: wpm@ms.com
750 9th Ave, NY, NY 10019

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the
courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the
bodies of the people that I had to kill because they pissed me
off."
-- Anonymous

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his
hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- H.L. Mencken