unpleasantries that several of you can no doubt help with.
I'm not altogether sure who has to fix which of these, so
I have to give a wide distribution.

#1) MAJOR SHOWSTOPPER: libwww-perl installed a URI/URL.pm module
that didn't causes CGI::Request to blow up because there's
no longer a uri_unescape. Did you changed the interface backwards
incompatibly? I had to back it off down to URL-3.02.pm instead.

#2) This really bothered me, although I had a work around:

You should be able to use the 'perldoc' utility to extract
documentation from these files.

(type q now if you don't like yelling)

<FONT SIZE=7> <CENTER> <BEEP VOLUME=10> <BLINK>

I'm sorry, but

*I WANT MAN PAGES INSTALLED*!!!!

</FONT> </CENTER> </BEEP> </BLINK>

I'm more than a tad tired of running this crud:

$targ = '/usr/local/perl/man/man3';
for ( `tcgrep -lr '^=head'` ) {
chop;
s,^\./,,;
($name = $_);
$name =~ s,/,::,g;
$name =~ s/\.pm/\.3pm/;
print $str = "pod2man $_ > $targ/$name\n";
warn "oops" if system $str;
}

When are we going to have a MakeMaker than does the
obvious thing?

3) Both this module and many others on my system have a few
non-comformant pieces:

HTML::AsSubs.3pm: no NAME lines, so has no whatis description!
LWP::TkIO.3pm: no NAME lines, so has no whatis description!
WWW::RobotRules.3pm: no separated dash in "WWW::RobotsRules"

All pods need things like that.

Fixes soon, maybe please?

--tom
Re: Unpleasant Trees [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 8 Oct 1995, Tom Christiansen wrote:

> #2) This really bothered me, although I had a work around:
>
> You should be able to use the 'perldoc' utility to extract
> documentation from these files.
>
> (type q now if you don't like yelling)
>

> <FONT SIZE=7> <CENTER> <BEEP VOLUME=10> <BLINK>
>
> I'm sorry, but
>
> *I WANT MAN PAGES INSTALLED*!!!!
>
> </FONT> </CENTER> </BEEP> </BLINK>

You're lucky if you don't break some newsreaders with that...

Let's see... The main things need to do this are some changes to
Configure to ask for a module installation path and extension. If Andy's
recent Configure patch includes these, then this is straightforward.

> 3) Both this module and many others on my system have a few
> non-comformant pieces:
>
> HTML::AsSubs.3pm: no NAME lines, so has no whatis description!
> LWP::TkIO.3pm: no NAME lines, so has no whatis description!

Hah! Yet more unwritten rules of POD. Unfortunately I'm not an nroff
guru, so I never caught those.

> WWW::RobotRules.3pm: no separated dash in "WWW::RobotsRules"

I don't understand that one? Does it need a separated dash, but doesn't
have one, or vice versa?

Re: Unpleasant Trees [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 8 Oct 1995, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:

> Let's see... The main things need to do this are some changes to
> Configure to ask for a module installation path and extension. If Andy's
> recent Configure patch includes these, then this is straightforward.

Followup: Yes, Configure now includes man3ext, and installman3dir. I'm in
the process of adding support to MakeMaker to install appropriate pods in
the named location.

Re: Unpleasant Trees [ In reply to ]
> Followup: Yes, Configure now includes man3ext, and installman3dir. I'm in
> the process of adding support to MakeMaker to install appropriate pods in
> the named location.

Thank you VERY much.

--tom
Re: Unpleasant Trees [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Oct 1995, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:
>
> > Let's see... The main things need to do this are some changes to
> > Configure to ask for a module installation path and extension. If Andy's
> > recent Configure patch includes these, then this is straightforward.
>
> Followup: Yes, Configure now includes man3ext, and installman3dir. I'm in
> the process of adding support to MakeMaker to install appropriate pods in
> the named location.

These are already in 5.001m, though I probably gussied them up some
in my Jumbo patch.

Andy Dougherty doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu
Dept. of Physics
Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042