Mailing List Archive

non-blocking io (Was Re: Missed domain name from /etc/hosts)
On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Paul Marquess wrote:

> From: Raphael Manfredi <ram@hptnos02.grenoble.hp.com>
>
> > As for the non-blocking I/O not being in perl's Configure, the unit
> > is now part of the standard metaconfig release. So it must be that
> > the right symbols are not scanned by Andy's metaconfig. He may have
> > omitted the relevant files from the MANIFEST.new?

Hmm. No, the problem appears to be that none of the symbols
defined by the unit are actually used in the 5.001m sources.
Those symbols are:

VAL_O_NONBLOCK, VAL_EAGAIN, RD_NODATA, EOF_NONBLOCK

Was there a patch to POSIX.xs or FCNTL.xs or something I was supposed to
apply that used those symbols, or was I supposed to fake it and insert
the unit anyway for future use by extensions? I didn't deliberately
exclude it; I just didn't remember to explicitly do anything to include it.

> Can this get added next time Andy?

I'm making no promises about any hypothetical "next time". :-)

Andy Dougherty doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu
Re: non-blocking io (Was Re: Missed domain name from /etc/hosts) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Paul Marquess wrote:

> > Those symbols are:
> >
> > VAL_O_NONBLOCK, VAL_EAGAIN, RD_NODATA, EOF_NONBLOCK
> >
> > Was there a patch to POSIX.xs or FCNTL.xs or something I was supposed to
> > apply that used those symbols, or was I supposed to fake it and insert
> > the unit anyway for future use by extensions? I didn't deliberately
> > exclude it; I just didn't remember to explicitly do anything to include it.
>
> The non-blocking stuff isn't used in anything that is part of 5.001m.
> It is for use in some of the existing external modules - source
> filters, Tk and ReadLine (I think).

ReadKey might use them, but currently doesn't (probably because I just
haven't gotten around to it). And ReadKey isn't part of the dist anyhow.

Andy, I think you'll just have to force inclusion of this Unit. Or, for
that matter, if perl is going to be the local Configure repository, it
might make sense to set up a .PL or .SH file in the dist that exists
solely to name symbols and to pull in Units.

Re: non-blocking io (Was Re: Missed domain name from /etc/hosts) [ In reply to ]
From: Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu>

> On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Paul Marquess wrote:
>
> > From: Raphael Manfredi <ram@hptnos02.grenoble.hp.com>
> >
> > > As for the non-blocking I/O not being in perl's Configure, the unit
> > > is now part of the standard metaconfig release. So it must be that
> > > the right symbols are not scanned by Andy's metaconfig. He may have
> > > omitted the relevant files from the MANIFEST.new?
>
> Hmm. No, the problem appears to be that none of the symbols
> defined by the unit are actually used in the 5.001m sources.

I think that is correct Andy.