Mailing List Archive

[puppet] migrating to storyboard
Hello all incredible Puppeters,

I've tested setting up an Storyboard instance and test migrated
puppet-ceph and it went without any issues there using the documentation
[1] [2]
with just one minor issue during the SB setup [3].

My goal is that we will be able to swap to Storyboard during the Stein
cycle but considering that we have a low activity on
bugs my opinion is that we could do this swap very easily anything soon
as long as everybody is in favor of it.

Please let me know what you think about moving to Storyboard?
If everybody is in favor of it we can request a migration to infra
according to documentation [2].

I will continue to test the import of all our project while people are
collecting their thoughts and feedback :)

Best regards
Tobias

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/infra/storyboard/install/development.html
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/infra/storyboard/migration.html
[3] It failed with an error about launchpadlib not being installed,
solved with `tox -e venv pip install launchpadlib`

Re: [openstack-dev] [puppet] migrating to storyboard [ In reply to ]
Hello!

The error you hit can be resolved by adding launchpadlib to your tox.ini if
I recall correctly..

also, if you'd like, I can run a test migration of puppet's launchpad
projects into our storyboard-dev db (where I've done a ton of other test
migrations) if you want to see how it looks/works with a larger db. Just
let me know and I can kick it off.

As for a time to migrate, if you all are good with it, we usually schedule
for Friday's so there is even less activity. Its a small project config
change and then we just need an infra core to kick off the script once the
change merges.

-Kendall (diablo_rojo)

Re: [openstack-dev] [puppet] migrating to storyboard [ In reply to ]
Hello Kendall,

Thanks for your reply, that sounds awesome!
We can then dig around and see how everything looks when all project
bugs are imported to stories.

I see no issues with being able to move to Storyboard anytime soon if
the feedback for
moving is positive.

Best regards
Tobias

Re: [openstack-dev] [puppet] migrating to storyboard [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 6:33 PM Tobias Urdin <tobias.urdin@binero.se> wrote:

> Please let me know what you think about moving to Storyboard?

Go for it. AFIK we don't have specific blockers to make that migration
happening.

Emilien Macchi
Re: [openstack-dev] [puppet] migrating to storyboard [ In reply to ]
It's a +1 from me. I don't think there is anything linked specifically to it.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Emilien Macchi <emilien@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 6:33 PM Tobias Urdin <tobias.urdin@binero.se> wrote:
>>
>> Please let me know what you think about moving to Storyboard?
>
> Go for it. AFIK we don't have specific blockers to make that migration
> happening.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Emilien Macchi

Mohammed Naser — vexxhost
Re: [openstack-dev] [puppet] migrating to storyboard [ In reply to ]
On 08/14/2018 10:33 AM, Tobias Urdin wrote:

> My goal is that we will be able to swap to Storyboard during the Stein cycle but
> considering that we have a low activity on
> bugs my opinion is that we could do this swap very easily anything soon as long
> as everybody is in favor of it.
>
> Please let me know what you think about moving to Storyboard?

Not a puppet dev, but am currently using Storyboard.

One of the things we've run into is that there is no way to attach log files for
bug reports to a story. There's an open story on this[1] but it's not assigned
to anyone.

Chris

[1] https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2003071

Re: [openstack-dev] [puppet] migrating to storyboard [ In reply to ]
On 15/08/18 10:43 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
>On 08/14/2018 10:33 AM, Tobias Urdin wrote:
>
>>My goal is that we will be able to swap to Storyboard during the Stein cycle but
>>considering that we have a low activity on
>>bugs my opinion is that we could do this swap very easily anything soon as long
>>as everybody is in favor of it.
>>
>>Please let me know what you think about moving to Storyboard?
>
>Not a puppet dev, but am currently using Storyboard.
>
>One of the things we've run into is that there is no way to attach log
>files for bug reports to a story. There's an open story on this[1]
>but it's not assigned to anyone.

Yeah, given that gerrit logs are ephemeral and given that users often
don't have the savvy to cut and paste exactly the right log fragments
for their issues I think this is a pretty big deal. When I triage
bugs I often ask for logs to be uploaded. This may be less of a big
deal for puppet than for projects like manila or cinder where there
are a set of ongoing services in a custom configuration and there's no
often no clear way for the bug triager to set up a reproducer.

We're waiting on resolution of [1] before moving ahead with Storyboard
for manila.

-- Tom

Re: [openstack-dev] [puppet] migrating to storyboard [ In reply to ]
Hey :)

I created all the puppet openstack repos in the storyboard-dev envrionment
and made a project group[1]. I am struggling a bit with finding all of your
launchpad projects to perform the migrations through, can you share a list
of all of them?

-Kendall (diablo_rojo)

[1] https://storyboard-dev.openstack.org/#!/project_group/60

Re: [openstack-dev] [puppet] migrating to storyboard [ In reply to ]
Hello Kendall,

I went through the list of projects [1] and could only really see two
things.

1) puppet-rally and puppet-openstack-guide is missing

2) We have some support projects which doesn't really need bug tracking,
where some others do.
    You can remove puppet-openstack-specs and
puppet-openstack-cookiecutter all others would be
    nice to still have left so we can track bugs. [2]

Best regards
Tobias

[1] https://storyboard-dev.openstack.org/#!/project_group/60
<https://storyboard-dev.openstack.org/#%21/project_group/60>
[2] Keeping puppet-openstack-integration (integration testing) and
puppet-openstack_spec_helper (helper for testing).
      These two usually has a lot of changes so would be good to be
able to track them.

Re: [openstack-dev] [puppet] migrating to storyboard [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 12:15 AM Tobias Urdin <tobias.urdin@binero.se>
wrote:

> Hello Kendall,
>
> I went through the list of projects [1] and could only really see two
> things.
>
> 1) puppet-rally and puppet-openstack-guide is missing
>
> I had created the projects, but missed adding them to the group. They
should be there now :)

> 2) We have some support projects which doesn't really need bug tracking,
> where some others do.
> You can remove puppet-openstack-specs and
> puppet-openstack-cookiecutter all others would be
> nice to still have left so we can track bugs. [2]
>
> i can remove them from the group if you want, but I don't think I can
delete the projects entirely.

> [...]
>>>
>>> My goal is that we will be able to swap to Storyboard during the Stein
>>> cycle but considering that we have a low activity on
>>> bugs my opinion is that we could do this swap very easily anything soon
>>> as long as everybody is in favor of it.
>>>
>>> Please let me know what you think about moving to Storyboard?
>>> If everybody is in favor of it we can request a migration to infra
>>> according to documentation [2].
>>>
>>> I will continue to test the import of all our project while people are
>>> collecting their thoughts and feedback :)
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Tobias
>>>
>>> [1] https://docs.openstack.org/infra/storyboard/install/development.html
>>> [2] https://docs.openstack.org/infra/storyboard/migration.html
>>> [3] It failed with an error about launchpadlib not being installed,
>>> solved with `tox -e venv pip install launchpadlib`

If that's all good now, I can kick off test migrations but having a
complete list of the launchpad projects you maintain and use would be super
helpful so I don't miss any. Is there somewhere this is documented? Or can
you send me a list?

-Kendall (diablo_rojo)
Re: [openstack-dev] [puppet] migrating to storyboard [ In reply to ]
Hello Kendall,

I think you can just leave them in the group then, at your convenience.
If they are there we can start using them if so.

Best regards
Tobias