Mailing List Archive

getting back onto our IRC channel
FWIW I struggled to get back onto IRC following the recent switch of
openstack channels to requiring registration. A big part of the problem is
I never learned "real IRC" (apart from anything else real IRC is entirely
banned where I work). So in case this is useful to anyone else in a similar
situation:

What eventually worked for me is using the `webchat.freenode.net interface
to do the nickname registration mentioned here:
https://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration

Once I received the resulting email and typed the provided validation
command (also on webchat.freenode.net), I was then able to use my
credentials to configure my normal client (irccloud in my case) and go to
the #openstack-operators channel with my normal nickname.

What did not work for me is trying to msg nickserv from the command-line
IRC client (irssi). I can't send a message to nickserv without connecting,
and (it seems to me anyway) can't connect without a nickname. Seems a bit
chicken and egg to this IRC newbie.

See you (back) on our IRC channel!

Chris

--
Chris Morgan <mihalis68@gmail.com>
Re: getting back onto our IRC channel [ In reply to ]
On 2018-08-08 14:43:33 -0400 (-0400), Chris Morgan wrote:
[...]
> What did not work for me is trying to msg nickserv from the command-line
> IRC client (irssi). I can't send a message to nickserv without connecting,
> and (it seems to me anyway) can't connect without a nickname. Seems a bit
> chicken and egg to this IRC newbie.
[...]

It's been a while since I used irssi personally (switched to weechat
some 5-6 years ago), but it should only have rejected your ability
to auto-join OpenStack official IRC channels until you
registered/identified and not prevented you from connecting to
Freenode. You only need to be in a server buffer and connected to be
able to `/msg nickserv ...` but don't need to be in any channels at
all so shouldn't be a chicken-and-egg scenario.
--
Jeremy Stanley
Re: getting back onto our IRC channel [ In reply to ]
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but it's really not obvious, hence this
email.

I tried just "/connect chat.freenode.net" and then "/msg nickserv ..." a
few times. I always got dumped and it said "You need to identify via SASL
to use this server". Something like that.

If I don't connect first, then I just get "Not connected to server" when I
try to /msg nickserv

chris

Re: getting back onto our IRC channel [ In reply to ]
According to:

https://superuser.com/questions/1220409/irc-how-to-register-on-freenode-using-hexchat-when-i-get-disconnected-immediat

there's a blacklist of source address ranges from which SASL auth/e is
required.....

~iain

Re: getting back onto our IRC channel [ In reply to ]
I just tried irssi on MacOS without any other stuff added to the config
just a fresh install and I am able to talk to NickServ and appears I can
register the nick if I so choose. Quite possible your IP or an IP along
your path of talking to Freenode is blacklisted Chris.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 2:23 PM iain MacDonnell <iain.macdonnell@oracle.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> > --
> > Jeremy Stanley
> > <
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.openstack.org_cgi-2Dbin_mailman_listinfo_openstack-2Doperators&d=DwMFaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RxYkIjeLZPK2frXV_wEUCq8d3wvUIvDPimUcunMwbMs&m=XitLUTp1htaMQO9yd3X4qTLgEaEKYUScTKuga61xBnM&s=pOs2IpLof7IqciYxf2K2rTsQ9jqCKkIAlL_mvXqqCDo&e=
> >

> > --
> > Chris Morgan <mihalis68@gmail.com <mailto:mihalis68@gmail.com>>

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.openstack.org_cgi-2Dbin_mailman_listinfo_openstack-2Doperators&d=DwIGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RxYkIjeLZPK2frXV_wEUCq8d3wvUIvDPimUcunMwbMs&m=XitLUTp1htaMQO9yd3X4qTLgEaEKYUScTKuga61xBnM&s=pOs2IpLof7IqciYxf2K2rTsQ9jqCKkIAlL_mvXqqCDo&e=

Kind regards,

Melvin Hillsman
mrhillsman@gmail.com
mobile: (832) 264-2646
Re: getting back onto our IRC channel [ In reply to ]
On 2018-08-08 15:03:46 -0400 (-0400), Chris Morgan wrote:
> I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but it's really not obvious,
> hence this email.
>
> I tried just "/connect chat.freenode.net" and then "/msg nickserv
> ..." a few times. I always got dumped and it said "You need to
> identify via SASL to use this server". Something like that.
>
> If I don't connect first, then I just get "Not connected to
> server" when I try to /msg nickserv
[...]

It does indeed sound like you might be caught up in the
aforementioned SASL-only network blacklist (I wasn't even aware of
it until this ML thread) which Freenode staff seem to be using to
help block the spam onslaught from some known parts of the Internet.
Your workaround with the webclient is precisely what I would have
recommended in such situations too. This is entirely independent
from the Infra team measure to require nick registration in official
OpenStack IRC channels, but certainly another symptom of the same
fundamental problem.
--
Jeremy Stanley
Re: getting back onto our IRC channel [ In reply to ]
Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> [...]
> It does indeed sound like you might be caught up in the
> aforementioned SASL-only network blacklist (I wasn't even aware of
> it until this ML thread) which Freenode staff seem to be using to
> help block the spam onslaught from some known parts of the Internet.
> [...]

Yes, the Freenode blacklist blocks most cloud providers IP blocks. My
own instance (running on an OpenStack public cloud) is also required to
use SASL.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Re: getting back onto our IRC channel [ In reply to ]
On 2018-08-09 09:56:47 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > [...]
> > It does indeed sound like you might be caught up in the
> > aforementioned SASL-only network blacklist (I wasn't even aware of
> > it until this ML thread) which Freenode staff seem to be using to
> > help block the spam onslaught from some known parts of the Internet.
> > [...]
>
> Yes, the Freenode blacklist blocks most cloud providers IP blocks. My own
> instance (running on an OpenStack public cloud) is also required to use
> SASL.

That's very useful detail--thanks! I simply didn't notice it because
I've been authenticating via SASL for years already on any IRC
networks which support that, but I can definitely see how that might
catch a bunch of our participants off-guard (especially given our
"cloud" focus in this community).
--
Jeremy Stanley