* Given that I just want the hypervisor:VM association, any suggestions
as to which rule(s) to modify?
* Failing that, wondering if there's any for-real documentation on what
the various options in policy.json *do*. I've found many, many lists of
what's in a generic policy.json, but nothing that went into detail about
what does what.

Thanks!

-Ken

Re: (Juno - *sigh*) Want non-admin access to hypervisor:VM association. [ In reply to ]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/openstack-api-hostid

This should take care of it, don't know if it exists in Juno though.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 1:49 PM Ken D'Ambrosio <ken@jots.org> wrote:

> Hey, all. We've got a Juno cloud, and we'd like various end-users to be
> able to see which hypervisors their VMs spring up on.
> /etc/nova/policy.json seems to have some relevant info, but it's hard to
> tell what does what. "compute_extension:hypervisors" looks like a
> possible candidate, but that's so vague that there's no telling what,
> exactly, is meant by "hypervisors". So:
>
> * Given that I just want the hypervisor:VM association, any suggestions
> as to which rule(s) to modify?
> * Failing that, wondering if there's any for-real documentation on what
> the various options in policy.json *do*. I've found many, many lists of
> what's in a generic policy.json, but nothing that went into detail about
> what does what.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ken

Mohammed Naser — vexxhost
D. 514-316-8872
D. 800-910-1726 ext. 200
E. mnaser@vexxhost.com
W. http://vexxhost.com
Re: (Juno - *sigh*) Want non-admin access to hypervisor:VM association. [ In reply to ]
On 2018-11-18 09:11, Mohammed Naser wrote:

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/openstack-api-hostid
>
> This should take care of it, don't know if it exists in Juno though.

It *does* exist in Juno, it *can't*, however, do what I want -- at
least, generically. The hostId that gets returned is a value that's
(apparently) used to let you know, semi-anonymously, how affinity is (or
isn't) working for your VMs. So you get a unique identifier for each
hypervisor -- but it has no *obvious* bearing on the hostname. It's an
id that's formed from the SHA224 hash of the ID of your tenant and the
hostname of the hypervisor -- a bit of a catch-22, that, and prevents
you from being able to make use of the hash if you don't know your
back-end. But... I do. So I created an associative array with all the
current (and, God willing, future) hypervisor hostnames in my company,
with the key being the hostId/hash, and the value being the hypervisor
name. Then I queried my VMs, got all the hostIds, used that as the
index to query my associative array, and bingo! My hypervisor's name.

Kinda fugly, but when you have a standardized hypervisor hostname
nomenclature, it's sufficient, without having to go mucking about with
changing poorly-documented Nova policy.json stuff in a four-year-old
release of OpenStack.

I'll take it. Thanks!

-Ken