Mailing List Archive

Server names vs. DNS: Can I restrict server names to match a regex?
    A fair bit of my setup uses service names for automatic naming
elsewhere.  For example, we have NFS mounts like /path/to/<servername>
and automatic DNS like <servername>.example.org

    Of course, if a user is determined to to create a less useful
instance, they can create one with a name like "...."  or "../../.."
which will result in hilarity.

    I'm sure that I'm not the only one who regards a server name as
useful for naming other resources.  What solutions do you use? Is there
a way to tell nova or Horizon to restrict server names to a given pattern?