wish to install a compute node on bare metal, not to provision bare metal
machines to users.

Thanks!
Re: Compute node on bare metal? [ In reply to ]
On 07/02/2018 09:45 AM, Houssam ElBouanani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently finished installing a minimal OpenStack Queens
> environment for a school project, and was asked whether it is possible
> to deploy an additional compute node on bare metal, aka without an
> underlying operating system, in order to eliminate the operating system
> overhead and thus to maximize performance.

Whomever asked you about this must be confusing a *hypervisor* with an
operating system. Using baremetal means you eliminate the overhead of
the *hypervisor* (virtualization). It doesn't mean you eliminate the
operating system. You can't do much of anything with a baremetal machine
that has no operating system on it.

Best,
-jay

Re: Compute node on bare metal? [ In reply to ]
They are probably thinking of Vmware ESXi, which is both an operating
system kernel, named vmkernel, and a hypervisor.

OpenStack is not a hypervisor. It /uses /hypervisors to manage virtual
machines. Furthermore, OpenStack is written in Python, so that, as a
minimum, your "baremetal" would have to be able to run Python code.